18

Song for this chapter:
Lay Me Down - Sam Smith
To Build A Home - The Cinematic Orchestra, Patrick Watson
_______________________________________

-Michaels P.O.V

I stared at myself in the mirror and adjusted my shirt, what felt like the millionth time. My eyes red, and dark circles around my eyes. I haven't slept much since she left. There was a soft knock at my door and enters a Calum.

"Hey, Mike. We're ready whenever you are." he gives me a soft smile, and I nod, and he gently closes the door on his way out.

I let out a breath.

Its best to just get this over with. I shake my head, as if it were going to wake me up from this nightmare. I exit my room and join my three roommates that were waiting for me. Here's for the longest day of my life.

_________

DJ's aunt Lorelei had settled for a simple service at the cemetery. Her casket laying on the machine that would lower her down six feet under.

Tears wanting to spill out of my eyes knowing that the girl I have loved for the past year was laying in there.

I really didn't pay attention to what the pastor was saying or what her aunt had to say. I was just staring at where she would be laying for eternity, next to her parents. I was just here a few months ago with her for the first time. Now here I am again, this time I'm here to say goodbye.

The weather was sunny, and there was a slight breeze coming through occasionally.

I could see her family, the only one I knew was Lorelei. Bruce was here too, along with a few other co-workers.

Then the next thing was she was being lowered into the ground. It was over... I know I said I had wanted to get this over with, but now I don't. Her being lowered just meant saying goodbye. Goodbye to those beautiful shining eyes I fell in love with, her lips that I would never get tired of kissing, the way she sang or laughed, the way her arms felt wrapped around me, how beautiful she was with no effort. I would never get to experience that again. A good amount of people started to leave, hugging her family members before they departed.

I just stood there staring at her casket 6 feet into the ground.

"We'll be waiting in the car Mike... Take your time." I hear one of my friends say. And I hear their footsteps fade as they walked.

There was nobody else here besides me, or so I thought. I digged into my pocket and pulled out the rose gold princess ring I had given her a few months ago, and I fiddled with it. That's when I heard a voice behind me, "I never thought she would fall in love..." I looked behind me and it was her aunt Lorelei, "... well, I wanted her to, but she didn't want to. At least that's what she told me. She came to me and said 'I'm never going to date or fall in love... it's a waste of time. So don't ever expect to meet a boy from me.' Yet there she was about a month ago with you." She chuckles.

"Yeah, it was pretty brutal trying to win her over. Didn't think it was going to happen, I was pretty much about to give up when she gave in."

"She told me... although I would like to hear your side of the story of how you fell in love." She says.

I smile, "My friends and I have heard do much buzz about Blue Iridium. One or two of them went one night, and when they came back they were raving on about how great it was. Great food, service, music, drinks, and how hot this girl was. It took me a while to finally go. When we got there, it was pretty crowded. Sing, Sing, Sing, was playing and that's when I saw her. She was talking to her best friend Bruce, and she had this really annoyed expression on her face. About a minute later she's walking over to our table and that was it. I just had to have her. I was already in awe of her, but then when she got on that stage and sang... I fell even more for her."

"Wow..." She says.

"Wow, indeed." I say.

"Just so you know. She fell for you too... that first night..." She nods her head.

I raise my eye brows, "Really? How do you know?"

"She told me... She just didn't want to ruin her plan." She scoffs.

"W-what else did she say?" I ask desperately.

She reaches into her purse, and pulls out an envelope with my name on the front that was clearly written by DJ. "I think you find all the answers to your questions in this." She hands it to me. "Its been a pleasure getting to know you, Michael. It was under the shittiest circumstances, but I'm glad I know you. Joel and Lucy would've loved you for her." She smiles weakly and she walks away. Leaving me standing by myself in the cemetery.