Chapter Seven

Kobra spent the rest of the morning in shock. She would have known those leaves anywhere, and she knew exactly where they came from. But the question was how they came to be in her bouquet that morning.

 The bouquet from the gardener's assistant.

 She didn't suspect anything of the gardener himself. She had known Roy nearly her entire life, and this wasn't something he would do. But the assistant, the 'Stargazer', as he called himself, was completely different. She didn't know his real name, she didn't know where he came from. He could have very easily been the culprit. If he was trying to scare her, she wouldn't le him succeed.

 In the afternoon, she ventured out into the garden alone to look for him. Thankfully, he and Roy were working in separate parts of the garden that day.

 "Good afternoon, Stargazer," she said coldly.

 He nodded. "Your Highness. If you are looking for Roy-"

 "I am not looking for the head gardener today. I came to see you. I want to know the purpose of this."

 Kobra held out the little branch with the silver leaves. The gardener stared at it, and then shook his head. "I do not understand, Your Highness."

 "You understand perfectly well what this is," she said. "I know you followed us somehow. How did you do it without any of us knowing you were there?"

 He shrugged. "I hid myself well enough, I suppose."

 "But why?" she asked. "What is the meaning of this? Why would you follow us, and then give me this?"

 He shrugged again. "I don't know how to explain, Your Highness."

 "Well, don't you know the reward being offered for the information you have?"

 "I'm aware, Your Highness."

 "Then what is it you want?" she demanded, raising her voice further. "Is it money you want?" She pulled out her purse, which she had filled up with coins, and handed it to him. "Here. Take it if it's what you want."

 He stared at her, and at the purse, before saying, "I don't think I can accept it, Your Highness."

 "Why not?"

 "Because I didn't leave my home for money," he replied calmly. "You should keep it. It's not what I wanted. Good afternoon, Your Highness."

 He slowly and calmly turned and walked off, leaving Kobra standing in the same spot, absolutely bewildered.

~~~~~~

 "Is it possible for royalty to marry a commoner?" Tommy asked Roy over their dinner.

 Roy shrugged. "Depends, I suppose. It's certainly unusual, but it's possible."

 "What about the princesses? The king said that any man who can discover why their shoes are worn through every morning could marry one of the princesses would marry any of them and be next in line for the throne. That means anyone."

 "Ah, but you don't see many commoners coming around, do you?" Roy pointed out. "The common, ordinary people around know better than to get mixed up in such royal affairs, especially ones like that."

 "Mm-hmm. But...suppose I were the one to discover their secret. Could I marry one of the princesses, and be next in line for the throne?"

 "Well, if the king meant any man, then that does mean you could. I think you'd have to tell them more about yourself, though. I doubt they'd settle for Stargazer, the gardener's assistant."

 Tommy smiled. Roy was assuming he was just curious, or that this was simply a joke. He wondered how he would react if he told him the truth.

 Tommy knew he would be going back to that place again. He would take the flower from its hiding place, and just stick it in his shirt again. He waited a few more days, though, so he wouldn't look too suspicious all at once to Princess Kobra.

 The second time he followed them, they didn't have some idiot suitor with them; it was just the princesses, and they all seemed relieved.

 Tommy knew Princess Kobra was looking for signs of his presence. She hung in the back, and seemed to walk slower than her sisters. This time he climbed into the boat of one of the other princesses, and listen to the music from his hiding place. Once again, he didn't eat or drink anything, although the smells made him hungry.

 Of all the princesses, he thought Kobra was the most graceful dancer. He watched the way she twirled and glided across the room, how she seemed genuinely happy here.

 Eventually, it ended, and the princesses began their journey home. Behind her, Kobra thought she heard the sound of a branch snapping.

 "What was that?" she asked aloud.

 "What was what?" Elize asked her.

 "I-I heard something. It was-"

 "Oh, come on, Kobra." Elize put her arm around her. "You're just tired. Let's get some sleep before we have to get up for the day."

 Kobra glanced behind them, but saw nothing, even though she had the feeling there was someone there.