Speech

This is my speech for English class!

The First of January, 1962.

The Ninth of February, 1964.

These two dates changed music forever.

On January 1, 1962, The Beatles travelled down to London from Liverpool for a recording session with Decca Records. The audition didn't start off well. First of all, the representative from Decca Records, Mike Smith, showed up late to the audition. Second of all, he insisted that The Beatles use Decca's amplifiers instead of their own, deeming them to be substandard. Nevertheless, all four members and their manager, Brian Epstein, felt confident that their performance would earn them a contract. However, the head of Decca Records was leaning towards a local band who had auditioned that same day. The Beatles were rejected, causing Brian Epstein to search for more opportunities. Eventually, they were accepted by George Martin, a producer at EMI Records. This turned over a new leaf for The Beatles.

2 years later, The Beatles released a single that rose to the top of the American charts. The Beatles soon made an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. This changed American television forever. 73 million people tuned in that night to watch The Beatles. The crime rate in America dropped significantly while the show was on. The Beatles were a smash hit in The United States. And to think that they were rejected two years earlier and still continued to search for their dream of being a successful rock 'n roll band. They have taught many people to never give up on their dreams.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is considered by many to be The Beatles greatest album. It was re-released this past June and made it in the number 3 spot on the charts. No other band can accomplish that after 50 years.