Chapter Eleven

Lucy's perspective
*****************
The coldness surrounds me again. Pushing me down into the dark depths of haziness. The thick liquid that was once around my calves is now up to my thighs-and it's slowly rising. I continue forward. With every step it seems to rise just a bit more. But then I see it. A small light. Far far forward. I'd have to wade through so much of the liquid. But it's my only hope of getting out. I start to trudge faster, and soon the liquid is splashing everywhere from my desperation. But it doesn't matter I have to get closer. My limbs start to feel heavier. Pressing me down to the blackness that's clinging around my hips. The light seems so close though. So close yet so far. If I just reach out as far as possible. If I just try a bit harder then maybe it'd work. I can do it! It just might take work. But I can get there I just have to try! But it doesn't work, the liquid surrounds me, the light growing duller, until I'm left in darkness. No way out. No hope...
      My eyes slowly crack open to static on the TV, Natsu is next to me with his arm clutching me still. I'm curled against his side, his even breaths ghosting over my face. I look up at closed eyes and a soft face. He's sleeping. I think lightly. My nightmare has me shaken. It's just like the one at the hospital I had before I woke up. But now there was light. I can't really remember everything that happened just being trapped in a cloud of suffering.

• • •

It took Natsu a bit longer to wake up. I just sat there. Looking up at his calm face. His eyelids started to flicker and after a moment heavy eyes peaked through dark lashes. My breath caught for a second before a tired "hey" was mumbled by him. "Morning sleepyhead" I whisper. It seemed wrong to speak loudly. Like it would disrupt the comfort and drive away the warmth. Like this calm, cozy, happy moment would be ruined if loud voices were mingled in. "Mornin'" he replied with a sleepy sigh. A soft smile filled my face as I looked into his eyes.
Natsu pulled his phone out "What times'it?" He slurred. "And what day?" I laughed quietly as he checked. "Good to know it's the same day, just nearly 11pm. My eyes widened. Man, that's late. "Probably should drive you home, I don't want your dad worrying about you too much." And then my heart stopped. Shit. My father. Will. Kill. Me. Suddenly my heart started to beat again but too fast, panic coursing through me. I could feel my body starting to wake up too fast. And I knew it wouldn't end up well.
"Hey Lucy, you okay? You look really pale"
"Yeah...fine..." I manage out. Natsu feels my forehead to make sure. "I don't know Lucy, you feel a little warm, maybe you got a bit sick? You sure your feeling okay?" I clear my throat. Trying to regain composure quickly. "Yeah, Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm fine, I didn't mean to worry you. I think I just need a drink of water or something" Natsu nods "okay, hold tight, I'll grab you a glass" Natsu took no time in racing to grab the glass of water and handing it to me. I gulped it down then stood up. The longer I wait the worse it'll be. "Yeah, I should probably head home now, father's probably worried sick" "okay," Natsu grabs my hand, gently leading me out of the house and into the car "lets go then".

• • •

Natsu pulled into my driveway and I stepped out. "Thanks so much! I had a fantastic time!" I tell him. "Yeah of course, see you tomorrow Lucy!" He promises. I walk inside-which seems to be an issue in itself, my leg is a bit wobbly from lack of use and I had a moment of panic when I almost, but thankfully didn't, fall-and the first thing I see is my father opening the door for me. Glaring at me. "And how is the slut today?" He whispers harshly. Once the door closes I start to explain myself
"No, father, nothing happened-honestly! We just watched a movie and fell asleep"
"Like I'd believe a whore like you" he replied. It grated against my ears. Even though I don't respect my father and think he's a terrible person, he is still my father. So to hear him call me a slut and whore made me break a bit inside. "Come!" He barked and started walking. So I followed. Like a lamb to the slaughter. And I realized that it was exactly like that. I'm defenseless, and father has complete control, making me do whatever he says.
      We walk up the steps and down the hallway into one of the spare rooms. Nothing was in the room except a tiny window, a bean bag chair and a tiny bookshelf. I wanted to get out. I didn't like the looks of this room. I didn't even know we had it. It never occurred to me to go to the very end of the hallway, into the room that father always said was haunted when I was very little. He shoved me inside "sit" and I did. On the floor. Hating myself for just taking his orders. In my head I had already shoved past him, raced like there was no tomorrow-and with what he's done before, I wouldn't doubt it-I'm far far away in my head. So long gone that dust has collected in my place, absent long enough to have been wiped from the thought of this room. But this isn't my head, this is here and now. And here and now I'm getting kicked to the floor even farther. Suddenly a fist full of hair is pulled and I'm dragged up. I try to hold back my scream, but a grunt slips past my lips.
"So you like staying away for a long time huh?"
"No-I didn't mean-!" But his fist flew to my eye and I couldn't hold back the surprised yelp that turned into a cry of pain. My hand flew to my eye and covered it, trying to futility protect it.
"Well then I guess you can stay away from the world for a long time" I was thrown across the room to the floor. Sprawling out when I landed. I tried to quickly scramble up. To escape. But I heard the door slam closed. Heard it lock from the other side. Heard him walk away. And suddenly he wasn't my father anymore. Tears fill my eyes as I stared on in disbelief. They spilled over the edge and a stifled sob escaped my lips. It escaped my lips, unlike I could with this room.