Chapter 4

Hollis

The second Mom stops at the front of the carpool lane, Faith is out and running up the stairs to the school, and probably to Meredith's locker.

"Bye sweetie, have a good day."

"Bye, Mom." I close the door aand begin my way up the stairs. I walk through the halls to my locker. Megan, Evan, and Matt are already standing in front of it, waiting for me.

"Sweetie!" Megan leaps into my arms and kisses me. 

'Hey, Meg." I put her down and slap Evan and Matt on their backs as they snigger.

"Yo, man." Evan says.

'Hey." I put in my locker combination, just to make sure it works. The door gets stucks, so I give it a couple of hard hits right above the dial. I repeat the process and get the locker open. Megan has not yet released her death grip on my hand. I mean, yeah I guess she's a good girlfriend, but she's pretty damn demanding. Thankfully, it's already 7:50, so I have an excuse to extract myself to get to my class. 

"Bye. See you guys at lunch." I'm a bit smarter than my friends, so I don't share any classes with them, except for Chem 1 with Megan. I make my way to my first class--Geometry and Alegebra. The class goes by quickly--math has always been my best subject. I leave class and make my way to Chemistry 1, which is on the other side of the school. I dash into class as the bell rings, and check the seatong chart. Crap. I'm sharing a lab table with Faith's friend Meredith. 

She's seated at a table on the other side of the room. her nose is, as usual, in a book. I wave to Meg, who's at the back of the classroom by Faith's friend Sarah. I greet Meredith, who doesn't even look up from her book; she just mumbles a response. I drop my bag on the floor and seat myself at the desk right as the teacher, Mr. Lesser, starts speaking.

'Okay, class..." Meredith closes her book and sits up, listening intently. Mr. Lesser hands out the syllabus and supplies list. She pulls a pencil from the messy bun on her head and scrawls her name on the tops of the papers. I pull a pencil from my backpack and follow suit.

Mr. Lesser continues, "Everyone, look to your table partner," Meredith turns her head and looks at me. "I hope you like what you see. This will be your lab partner for the rest of the year." I hear a few quiet moans, but Meredith stays silent.

The rest of the class passes pretty quickly. When the bell rings, Meredith hops off her stool and swings her backpack over her shoulder. she starts for the door,.

"Wait! Meredith,"

'What?" She replies.

'So... kinda funny, right? Us being stuck as lab partners?"

"Why would it be funny?"

"Just... nevermind."

'Uh... ok? I've got to go to class. See you after school.'

"Why would I see you after school?"

"Your mom is taking Faith and me school supplies shopping. K, I've really got to go." She runs down the hall to catch up with her friend Sarah. Megan walks up behind me and puts her arm around my waist. She pecks me on the cheek and we say a quick hello and goodbye. Then I extract myself and start walking down the hall towards my next class.