EK417: Coming Home

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Departure

That following day we boarded an early flight back to Perth, this flight was different, we were being chartered by Emirates for free - this was a "gift" from them for taking part in the Operation. We were flown 2.5 hours from Tarin Cote to Dubai where we boarded their flight back to Perth - It was a proud moment, the story of the Operation have gone viral overnight and most the population around the world found our about our bravery - as we stepped on board the aircraft we were cheered and clapped on by the passengers and flight crew, as we walk in between the aisles to our seat all the passengers reached out to shake our hands, especially the Australian nationals who were proud of their country.

We settled at one of the free seats, I picked the window seat because that's how I am, I love the window seat. The flight was fully packed with passengers and cargo, we were now unarmed, all our field equipment and weapons were being sent back to Perth on a separate flight earlier this morning.

The flight took off from Dubai as flight EK417, at least it won't be hijacked with 120 soldiers and commandos on board right? It was a huge effort since day one of the incident, I stood up for 4 hours on the flight writing in my journal, reflecting back on everything. Then with the urge to shut my eye. Turning off the overhead reading lights and tucking my journal away, I put on my headphones and played my favourite song before falling asleep.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Arrival In Perth

The flight from Dubai to Perth was 11.5 hours long, during this period of time I slept for 9 hours which made me felt good as I didn't sleep much whilst in Operation.

The soldiers on board started clapping and cheering just as we touch down in Perth Airport at 21:00 - it was a very cold and rainy weather but the atmosphere was warm with the support from the passengers and crew at the airport who cheered and clapped as we walk pass them into Immigration we even met a couple of ex-soldiers who saluted us as we passed. We collected our baggage and went through the usual process of Customs & Quarantine, they would search us for anything that may have accidentally sneak into Australia such as insects and any plants.

Finally I cleared immigration and passed the Customs inspection (surprisingly from all that mud on my field pack) but that was it, 120 Soldiers walked through the sliding door that says "Welcome to Perth" there were a loud cheer and clap as the soldiers move out one by one, I was the last one out the door as I am an Officer and we would wait till our low rank all move out, finally it was my turn. In stead of being greeted by my family I immediately caught a Taxi home. I remember sitting in the taxi for a 20 minute ride home, our taxi driver, Mr Dave Robinson was an ex-servicemen for the 1st Royal Australian Regiment (1RAR - Infantry) we talked about various things about the military, Mr Robinson (formally WO2 Robinson) left the army in 2008 after returning from Afghanistan with PTSD, he told me how he recovered from PTSD from his family support. It was a shame that the taxi ride came to an end because I really wanted to talk to him more and learn from him, but instead I paid the cabby fare and offload my baggage before saying my farewell greetings to the taxi driver.

Picking up my baggage I turned around to look at my house, everything was still the same, even when I walked in everything was still clean and new, dropping my bags to the corner of the house I got changed and went for the longest refreshing shower of my life before stuffing myself with the Supreme Pizza which I had brought just 1 day before I was deployed.

CHAPTER NINETEEN: Thank You Sir,

It was one week after returning from Afghanistan, my wounds have mostly recovered and I quickly adjusted back to life in Perth, however there was one thing I must do and that was to attend a funeral ceremony for the men who have died on this deployment. Dressed in my full ceremonial uniform I arrived at the large memorial center, the men was already buried the day after we landed and we only held a memorial ceremony for them.

The ceremony was emotional the saddest thing in the military would probably have to be the farewell ceremony when they passed away, would you imagine laughing, joking around with your mate who you only met for half a day and next thing you know that person was killed serving the country? well this is the feeling most soldiers would be experiencing at one stage in their lives. The ceremony concluded with the speech from the Premier of WA who sent his condolence to the families of the fallen.

The morning next day I was invited to attend a thank you ceremony held by the Department of Defence and hosted by Major Campbell who presented me with a 2 medals for my bravery whilst defusing that bomb and my quick thinking action on the battlefield. The second medal was the medal everyone receive when they returned from a combat zone, it is gold plated with the Australian coat of arms. Many soldiers attached to the WA Units attended the ceremony, most of us have recovered fully and just under 40% of the soldiers suffered from PTSD. After the speech from the officials have concluded I was invited up to thank the soldiers from my platoon who showed strong bravery, I commented how we work good as a team not because of our training we receive but it through the mate ship and self-discipline we receive when we first signed up. The ceremony concluded at 15:00 which marks the concluding time of the Operation.

Afterwards: Where Are They Now

Operation 417 Down became famous and well-known, Emirates have retrieved the aircraft and have now retired the aircraft. A memorial site was set up at the grounds soon after the CIA cleared the evidence and demolished the area, it is now called Echo Kilo symbolizing EK417.

In September 2015; PVT Johnson, PVT Lee, Trooper Nguyen, LCPL Reid - all from Alpha Platoon, B Company received the Victoria Cross Award, a high ranking medal presented to those who have showed bravery during combat, they were being redeployed to Afghanistan for peacekeeping operations in the villages 3 months after Operation 417 Down where they went under fire with Taliban. Soon later after returning from their 1st Deployment since the Operation LT David Mills was promoted to Captain (CAPT) and was appointed as Company Commander for B Company (B-COY) he only held the position for 2 years before being promoted again to Major (MAJ) where he was appointed as Company Commander for C-COY, a larger and stronger company in the Commandos, however he decided to leave the Commandos 1 year after being appointed with the position and he decided to transfer back to the Regular Army as a Medical Officer, still holding his rank he worked in the Medical Corps for 3 years before leaving the Regular Army for the Army Reserves (Part-time) where he was demoted back to Captain and served in the Armoured Corps and becoming a Tank commander.

David started studying at the International Aviation College in Adelaide for 4 Years before graduating with his CERT IV Commercial Pilot License and not soon later he started flying for Singapore Airlines, travelling the world - he frequently visit his Family and Vietnam and his brother signed up for the Army in 2019 serving in the Military Police, he was deployed with the United Nations (UN) to peacekeeping missions around the world.

David left the Army Reserves and his military career in 2021 with 20 awards, 10 medals and 22 years of experience and memories he had in the Army, he served a total of 7 deployments around the world. David is now a First Officer at Singapore Airlines with 8,000 flying hours, he is now flying various aircraft's such as the Airbus A330-300, Boeing 777-200/300ER and the Boeing 787.