three

Jessica

"Why not?" Austin forced a smile. "Aus," I looked at him, softly speaking.

"For fun," he shrugged. "For fun? Austin what if you get hurt?" I asked.

"Me?" He chuckled. "I won't."

"What makes you so sure?" I asked. "Would you just have faith in me?" He snapped.

"It's not that, I-" "You what?" He cut me off.

"You need to calm down," I slowly said. "Calm down for what? So you can try to force me out of it?" He asked, standing up.

"Aus I just don't want you to get hurt," I honestly said. "The nominees for guys are all seniors except for you."

"So what?" He asked. "Austin," I sighed. "Please, calm down and we can talk," I calmly said.

"Jess I know you care. But I'm doing this for us," he said. "And if I back out now then I'll get so much shit at school, it'll be hell," he remarked.

"Please don't," I quietly said. He finally looked at me. His eyes softened and his expression changed.

"Jess," he sighed, sitting back down.

"What do you mean you're doing this for us?" I questioned.

He ignored the question for a few seconds. "Nothing, nevermind," he shook his head. "Aus-" "Jess please," he cut me off. "I won't do it."

I put my hand over his. "Promise me," I said. "I can't," he said. "Austin, promise me. Please," I pleaded.

He shrugged. "I promise."

With that, I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. "Where are you going?" He asked.

"Home. I think you need time for yourself," I said. "No, stop," he stood up and took my bag off of my shoulder.

"I don't, I'm sorry. Stay," he said, softy grabbing my hand. "Please," he added.

I gave in as soon as his eyes darted into mine. "Okay."

An hour passed of us talking about whatever came to mind. Then, he grabbed his laptop and we started watching Netflix.

An episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine passed before I slowly fell to sleep with my head on his shoulder.

Austin

"Should we wa-" I cut myself off when I saw Jess asleep. I put my laptop aside and laid down, allowing her to rest her head easier.

My movement caused her to shift, but only for her to throw an arm around my torso.

I smiled to myself. After everything I've done, she managed to stay with me no matter what. I truly was lucky.

I pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead, before slowly drifting to sleep.

Jessica

I woke up to my phone vibrating in the pocket of my hoodie. Austin was still asleep, so I carefully moved over a bit to look at my phone.

Dad
Dinner is almost ready

Dad
Jess where are you

Missed Call
Dad (13)

Missed Call
Mom (14)

Missed Call
Noah (10)

Noah
Where the hell are you

My tired eyes finally focused on the time.

10:38 PM

"Shit," I jerked up. I looked out the window in Austin's room, seeing darkness cover the sky.

I quickly rolled off of Austin's bed, causing him to wake up. "Jess," he tiredly said, as I slipped on my shoes.

"Babe I gotta go," I quickly said. "It's an hour past my curfew I'm going to die."

He stood up and grabbed my bag, handing it to me. "Should I go with you? I'll explain that it was-"

"No it's alright," I stopped him. "Umm... I'll text you if I can," I said, quickly hugging him.

I jogged down the stairs and through the front door, throwing myself into my car, and immediately speeding off.

The two minute drive ended as I parked the car, and snuck my way into the house.

The lights were off, but as soon as I quietly shut the door, the lights turned on.

I shut my eyes and slowly turned around. "Phone," dad stuck out his hand.

I sighed and handed it to him. "Where were you?" Mom asked. "I went to Austin's after school, and-"

"That boy is trouble, Jessica," dad said. "No, he's not." I defended.

"We were watching TV and fell asleep, I'm sorry," I explained. "Just go to your room," mom sighed.

I looked at them, hoping for sympathy but got nothing. As I lugged myself up the stairs, Noah came out of his room.

"Where were you?" He asked. "Austin's. No, nothing happened, and no, it's not his fault," I said, shutting the door to my room to avoid anyone else.

I collapsed on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I screwed this up, not only for me, but for Austin, too.