Six

Avery's POV

The small window of my white room didn't display much lighting for me but it was good enough for shadow puppets.

Yes shadow puppets, currently my only source of entertainment. A knock was twiced on the door before a tall man I recognised to be Calum stood with a black eye and a few cuts.

"I believe your Mr Hemmings only friend" Dr Hood cleared his throat.

I can't deny it, I was worried "Yes, what's the problem?"

"We need you to talk to him, come with me"

Before he could start walking away too far I ran to keep up with him, down the long hall to Ward C, for potentially dangerous. We stopped at room 7, Dr Hood leaving me instantly.

This got me all worried and nervous, why would they need me to talk to Luke? He's just a tall guy with cool hair and 'normal' love for penguins.

"Luke?" I knocked before slowly entering.

The sight before me was no less than horrific. He had his head down, cross-legged staring at me. I could just see his eyes, they were a deeper blue than normal. Just the sight of him was... scaring me.

Luke's face lit up with a smirk "Avery, I'm glad your not a doctor"

I came closer to him, sitting next to Luke before slowly rubbing my thumb along the top of his hand.

"Luke whats wrong?" I asked, not even daring to think about what I said.

"I killed people Avery Antoinette James" Luke mentioned my middle name.

"I know Luke, I know you kill people and I'm okay" I smiled, trying to cheer him up.

"You don't get it. I killed my mother to defend you! She was calling you crazy, saying we can't be friends and I was gone" Luke gripped my fingers.

Luke killed his mother to defend me.

This was more than enough to take in at once. Luke cares about me more than he can say and for once, I'm thankful for that.

I didn't know what to do exactly so I just held his hand, pressing my lips to his cheek.

__________________________

Ashton's POV

I was rushing around the apartment, dodging Nathan's football gear, since he had training today, so I could get to Eden Mental Asylum in time.

A loud buzzing sound echoed through the kitchen, I struggled to reach one arm to the phone without dropping my omelette everywhere.

"No worries bro, I got it" Nathan rushed up, his brown hair wet from the shower.

"It's the crazy place" He tossed the phone. I caught it and pressed it to my ear.

"No point coming to work today, Irwin" Calum's voice crackled.

"Why not?"

"Hemmings has done a crime and we've gotten James to go settle it"

"What did he do?"

"He murdered his mother"

Small beeps echoed my ears and I put the phone down, my actions coming to a stop.

"What's up Ashton?" Nathan asked, already in his football gear.

"My friend at the asylum killed someone and my patient- blue hair- is settling him" I rubbed my temples.

"Woah dude, that's . . . harsh man" Nathan's jaw dropped.

He left the apartment soon after with a sports bag and I was left here with absolutely nothing to do. A brilliant thought struck me and I bolted out the door and into my red car.

They said I didn't need to work today but I'm still going to go, getting some information about the High school that Avery went to. I needed to ask them questions, like why is there no records before Year 10.

Sadly, large worries were in the way and I was beginning to fear that I was digging a hole I couldn't get out of.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"Hello Sir, Welcome to Eden West Secondary College, how may I help you?" The young female receptionist asked.

The colleges reception was too clean, artwork from students was hanging from 1987, it's due for updating. It was all the schools colours, blue and grey.

"I need to see the Principal" I ordered, tapping my fingers on the bench.

"I'm sorry sir but you cannot book a meeting with a Principal unless your a guardian of a student" She pouted, looking up at me from her seat.

"I'm here on medical terms, needing information from one of your ex students" I tapped louder "Im Dr Irwin of Eden Mental Asylum"

Just mentioning the words 'mental asylum' made the colour of her face drain away and she loudly clicked and tapped with her keyboard and computer mouse.

She got up from her seat and around to where I was standing "Follow me"

I followed down a corridor behind the reception, at the end was a door with a plaque, the words inscribed 'Principal Carrie Underwood'

"Ms Underwood- you have an important guest" The receptionist knocked on the door.

"Show him in" A loud voice bellowed.

I walked in, a large, round woman with golden locks sat on the chair peering at me with friendly smile.

"Hello Sir, what may be the trouble?" She asked, ruffling some papers on the desk

"I would like all the information you have on one of your ex-students, Avery James. I'm her doctor at Eden Mental Asylum" I announced, not taking my eyes off her.

Her mouth drooped open in slight shock before getting a wad of papers from a drawer.

"Such an unfortunate girl, she always looked so traumatised and helpless. I did try to get the school therapist to help but it never worked" Ms Underwood handed the papers over.

There was enough paper to publish a decent sized book in his hands and it was overwhelming. The average student would have 4 to 5 papers but this? This was not your average kid.

"Everything from Year ten to year twelve Mr Irwin" She pleasingly smiled.

"Why don't you have anything from before year ten?" I asked, standing up.

"On her birthday in year ten she snuck in an burnt every single piece of paper that had her name on it. We didn't have any backups" Carrie Underwood looked disappointed in the young girl.

"One last thing- what was her primary school?" I asked, getting out a pen.

"Eden North Primary and Eden South" She spoke.

I wrote it down in the corner, messy writing scribbled down. I could sense the woman was getting impatient so I thanked her and hurried out of the reception.

So many questions yet such little time. Why the two primary schools and why the burning of evidence? Your average crazy person wouldn't even do that- so what compelled her to do it?

I don't know what it was but tomorrow at work I'm going to get answers from Avery, I need to solve this insane dreams and fear.