Chapter 7

Life Support

** Journee**

(Three weeks later)

“Mom” I heard EJ calling me. “I’m in the laundry room.” A few moments later he appeared in the room while I was starting up the dryer for a load of clothes and getting ready to start another load in the washer. “Mom, can we talk?” “Sure,” I say as EJ begins helping me.

“Mom since I am going to be a dad.” He paused then spoke again “It seems weird saying that.” “It will grow on you. But since your going to be a dad what?” “the season is almost done. The championship game is three weeks away and it will be the last game I ever play in. Do I want to know if all of the family will be there to support me? Please, mom.” I stopped what I was going and went over to EJ.

“EJ, you know when I found out I was pregnant with you it was the happiest and scariest day of my life. The entire time I was pregnant with you I detached myself from you.” Soon as those words left my lips my eyes swell, and warm tears rolled down my face. “I felt since I lost Oliver and Tristan the same would happen to you. I made sure I did everything right. Took the prenatal vitamins, ate correct, did everything I was supposed to do. But I same with Oliver and I still lost him. The first time I heard your heartbeat it broke my heart because I felt it would end soon.  The closer your due date came the harder I prayed and the more I withdrew from not only you but your dad. The night before I went into labor with you even though I did not know I was going to be going into the labor the next day. That night I held a picture of me and Oliver and I cried, and I asked him, my baby boy your big brother if he would give my heart to you so I could be a mom to one of my kids.” I broke down and cried soon as those words fell out of my lips and I watched as my son’s eyes fill with tears then spill down his face.

“When I went into labor with you everything inside of me was crumbling, breaking, shattering, being tied into knots

“When I went into labor with you everything inside of me was crumbling, breaking, shattering, being tied into knots. I was so scared EJ. Your dad was right there with me, he was coaching me telling me everything was going to be alright and I tried to believe him, but it was so hard because I lost Oliver. When the doctor said one more big push I closed my eyes and I remember holding your brother as he died and took my heart with him. I must have been out of it because the next thing I heard was your voice crying and everything inside of me changed. Your dad kissed me on my forehead and they placed you in my arms. I did not even have a name picked out for you. Your uncle and dad did but when I saw you, you looked so much like him I said Ethan Jr. and we will call him EJ for short.”

“On the day we came home your dad kept telling me I had to put you down and you were going to be just fine and I said told him I had to make up for lost time. That night I laid you on the bed with me and I watched you sleep until I fell asleep. Your dad slept in the recliner rocking chair in our room. He got up with you feed you and changed you then he laid you back down in bed with me and he got on the other end and held my hand and I know because I felt him. I don’t know what woke me up, but I did you were asleep, and your dad was up watching over both of us. He said to me ‘thank you, you did it. You gave us our son and he is perfect.’ And that still remains today. So, if you want all of your family there to see and support you in your final game you got it. Your Nana and Papa Harbin, your uncle Curtis we all will be there.” I was still crying, and I watched EJ try and hold back his tears.

“Mom I want everybody there except your parents. I heard you and dad talking. Did they really. I mean is…”  “Yes, EJ they left me outside in the middle of nowhere when I was just two days old. They could have left me in the hospital, but they did not, and they did not leave me in front of the police station or a firehouse. “So, your mom adopted you?” “Yes, but she was already taking care of me at work and when she died it hurt bad and whenever I see ‘her’ I don’t acknowledge her. She is nothing to me. Before my mom died she taught me so much in that short amount of time. She was the one who gave me my voice.” EJ wiped my tears and hugged me tightly. When he let go We walked to the door and I heard him. “Mom” I looked up at him smiling and he smiled back and said, “I love you.” and he left out the room. 

After doing the laundry my phone started ringing. “Hello” I knew from the voice it was Scott. ‘Hey, can we meet in the morning I have some information for you.’ ‘yeah where do you want to meet at?’ ‘How is Guy’s café?’ ‘Perfect about 11:30 does that work for you?’ ‘It does I will see you there. ‘til tomorrow.’ Then he hung up and I went to prepare dinner and hope God has answered this one prayer of mine. 

{next day}

After everybody was gone I got me and Tristan ready and we went to Guy’s café to meet Scott. I got a little bit early and order something for me and Tristan. I was playing with him when someone caught my attention out the corner of my eye. 

“What are you doing here?” “Well I come to eat is that a crime? How was stripping while you were pregnant I’m sure that made your husband happy to know you were still stripping.” “I haven’t stripped in a long time and you know this Chloe. Tell me are you still bitter Ethan chose me and has a family with me? because I think you are.”

I watched her face then she went and got her things and left at the same time Scott was coming in. 

“Hey suga, what’s got you smiling big?” “That woman who just left out was my husband’s ex-girlfriend and she hates me with a passion.” We both laughed.

“The information I have for you in that it a lot of pictures and videos out of you not just here but in most of the states not to mention to calendars and print ads to promote you being at different clubs.” “So, what does this mean Scott?” “I can do this it will just take a little while at most about a year, but I want to have this done beforehand. I will do this quick as I can.” “Thank you, Scott. This really means a lot to me.” “Anything you I have to go but I will let you know.” He kissed me on my cheek then he left.

*** Ethan***

After coming back from putting out a fire and changing I was about to text Journee to let her know Curtis and I was fine but I saw a video from a number I do not know. I pressed the play icon and the video was of Journee and the same man from before. I was shocked when I saw it. I called the number back and after three rings I heard a voice of a person who I have begun to despise. Chloe.

Comment:

Vote: