The Shelby's

"Come here." The man grinned at me. I looked at Fred and once again he nodded. A chill went trough my body.
"Stand here." He pointed at the floor right in front of him. I stood there awkwardly looking around me. All the men in the pub had lost their tongues and they all watched the scene.
"Well well, what do we have here? A new barmaid huh? You chose good this time Freddy, it's a pretty one. I'll give 50 for an hour with you love." He said theatrical. The whole pub laughed at what he said.
"Excuse me?" I asked shocked.
"You don't need to be afraid love, I'll give you a good round." He said confident.
"I-I..." I couldn't get any words out. I couldn't believe what was happening.
"THOMAS SHELBY. Shut up you cunt. She's the niece of Emma Cambell. Show some respect." An middle aged woman shouted. I looked over and she was standing in the doorway of the office.
"She's a Cambell?" Tommy asked in disbelief.
I nodded slowly.
"Welcome to Birmingham." He said while he smiled. He walked right past me. The woman hit him on the back of his head when he walked in the office. She gave me one last apologizing look and closed the doors.

Finally I could breath again, the men in the pub talked again and Freddy started pouring drinks again. Life went on but I was nailed to the floor. I can't believe this is happening to me. I wanted to go home, lay in my bed and cry. I wanted to cry and just disappear.

"Grace, c'om on you have some work to do." Freddy shouted at me while he pointed at the dirty glasses. I began with the dishes but I couldn't help but wonder what was going on inside of that office.

"So everyone around here is afraid of the Shelbly's?" I asked Freddy. He gave me a nervous look.

"Yes, we fear them, but we also respect them. They're good lads. You just don't want them as your enemy." Freddy said.

"Good lads? That Thomas guy looks like an absolute ass." I grinned.

"Well, let's say he was a good lad. The war made a different man of him. He has seen hell Grace, and I think he's still living in it. He's carrying his scars and memories with him everyday. The government gave him some medals but they couldn't give his mates back that he lost in the field." Freddy said silent.

"Oh.." was what I said. I was to busy with my thoughts. I kinda felt sorry for him. I've never actually spoke in person to a man that had fought in the war. The man in my family all had high functions in the army but they never saw the battlefield.

Hours passed but the Shelby's didn't came out of their office. But when the clock stroke eleven, the door flew open.

"Damn you Tommy!" A older man with a moustache screamed. He stormed out of the office. He was followed by an younger lad. They both left the pub. Seconds later Thomas stepped out of the office. My hart stopped. He came over to the bar and took a seat right in front of me.

"Scotch" he ordered. I took the bottle as quick as I could and I filled a glass. When I passed him the glass he drank it all out with one swallow. He didn't give one kick.

"Family troubles?" Escaped my mouth. I was shocked. Oh god, did I actually ask him that. I wanted to slap myself so bad. Thomas gave me a weird look.

"That's none of your business." He grinned. But his look softened. "So you're name is Grace Campbell?" He asked. I nodded.

"What's a girl from such a wealthy family from London doing here, behind a bar in Birmingham." He asked. His deep blue eyes were now starring right into mine. A weird feeling flew trough my body.

"Well, that's none of your're business." I said while I laughed at myself. I felt like a fool for a moment but than I heard a chuckle. I looked up and a small smile was spread across his face.

"Grace your shift is over love, you can go home." Freddy shouted.

"Let me walk you home." I heard Tommy say quickly.

"No no, I can manage." I told him. I might like him but a few hours ago he wanted to do something not okay with me so I'll pass. I had enough Shelby for one day..