Secrets

The next day Passed by quickly. There were not many customers in the pub. But the man that stormed out of the office yesterday sat in the corner of the pub. He had been there all day. Every now and then I saw him sighing deeply. I went over to pick up his empty glasses when he sighed again. I saw numbers and calculations on his papers but I saw that the calculations were all wrong. I felt sorry for him. 

"Can I help? I used to be the first of my class in math." I told him. 

"Well... these numbers don't add up. I need to have this done by 10 and it's already 8 so I'm a bit stressed.." he said saddened. 

"It's okay. It will only take a minute." I said. I took the pen out of his hand and made the calculations right. 

"There you go." I gave him back his pen and I smiled. 

"Thank you so much Grace. You're my saviour." He said happy. 

"That's okay... hmm..?" I realised I didn't now his name. 

"The name's Arthur love, Arthur Shelby." He said. "But I really need to go now. Polly really needs that list, see you later love." Arthur said while he left the pub. 

When I looked around I noticed that everyone was gone, this meant that I could go home. I grabbed my stuff and was ready to go but the door flew open. And there stood a wasted Thomas Shelby. 

"Hello Grace." He said smiling.

"Hello Tommy." I said.

"Tommy? It's mister Shelby for you." He tried to sound serious but he sounded like a child. I rolled my eyes at him.

"You want another drink?" I asked.  

"No, I want a chat." He said while he sat down. 

"Alright." I sat next to him.

"Lets tell each other our deepest secret." Tommy said. 

"Tommy you are way to drunk" I laughed. 

"No no, I'm serious. I'll start," he looked me straight in the eyes. "Every night I hear the german soldiers hitting my wall. So every night, I'm afraid to close my eyes." He whispered. I was taken back by his honesty. 

"It's you're turn now Gracy!" He shouted. 

"My biggest secret is that I am engaged to a lord but I ran away from him." I said. I took the bottle of scotch out of Thomas's hand and took a good sip of it. 

"Why did you run?" He asked. He looked more serious now.

"One secret at the time Mister Shelby." I laughed. "I do have to say Tommy, I like you Shelby's." I said while I took another sip of the bottle.

"Oh you've met my awful brothers?" He joked. 

"Yeah, Arthur was here today, he needed some help with some calculations. He was so thankful-" I was cut off. 

"What? you helped him with calculations?" He said serious.

"Yes, b-" Tommy grabbed me by my throat and dragged me against the wall. 

"You've seen the numbers? You're not a stupid girl Grace. You know what they stand for." Tommy said on an evil tone.

"No no Tommy I swear." I pleased. I was so scared. His beautiful blue eyes turned dark. 

"You work for me now Grace. You work for the peaky blinders now. You've seen too much. Meet me here tomorrow at noon for your first assignment." He said sternly.  He let go of my throat and I fell on the ground.  Tears were forming in my eyes. I didn't want to work for him. I'm not his slave for gods sake.

"This is not you Thomas. There's a nice man in there somewhere. You have to stop hurting everyone, it will brake you." I said while I cried. He was already walking to the door but he stopped, and looked at me. 

"Oh Grace, I'm already broken." 

Short chapter!!!! But the next one will be a good one.... :)