Chapter 14

The alarm screeches at 3.30am and even though it is a God awful hour, I don't need to hit the snooze because I'm wide awake. Rather than butterflies in my stomach, I feel as though there is an army of elephants charging round. I have no idea where we are going or what we are doing; so I decide on my skinny jeans, flowery blouse and flat sandals. After a quick shower, I tie my hair up in a messy bun. I make an effort with my make-up to ensure it looks natural, but in reality I need it to cover the bags under my eyes.

My case is ready by the front door and I sit on the settee controlling my breathing to calm me down. It's only been just under two weeks since I last saw him, but the sheer apprehension of seeing him makes me feel like I might have a panic attack. My buzzer rings right on time which brings me out of my haze. I hit the button to open the door without speaking to him; I mean who else could it be at this hour?

I open the door and there he is. I take a second to commit how he looks to memory. He is in a light blue casual shirt folded to the elbow and fitted jeans, his hair is still slightly damp from the shower and I smile at the sight of him. His familiar scent immediately invades my senses making me feel a little dizzy.

"Morning." I beam as I grab my small suitcase and walk towards him.

"Morning Lizzie, you look stunning." He comments as if it's a matter of fact, but my heart stops for a second at the compliment. "Ready?" He asks when he takes my case.

"Not sure what I need to be ready for?" I mutter pretending to be frustrated and he chuckles. Once we are outside he takes my hand and the same electricity sparks between us and the now familiar heat flares up inside of me.

Outside my building I notice a black car waiting for us, with an older man standing at the back of the car with the boot open. Daniel hands my bag to him, thanks him and then opens a rear door for me. I greet the man and decide instantly that I like him, his features are friendly and the way Daniel speaks to him I can tell there is a bond there. I move over and Daniel slides in next to me. I can't wipe the smile off my face as the driver pulls away.

"Is there any point in me asking where we're going?" I enquire as casually I can. Daniel takes my hand and kisses my knuckles. My body quivers at the touch of his lips. Daniel's eyes darken when he makes eye contact with me as if he can feel the effect he has on me.

"Nope." He smirks and I pretend to be angry with him. I steal a sideways glance at him and his profile looks like an oil painting in the early morning glow. I see the lopsided grin on his face and know that he is enjoying keeping the secret from me.

When we approach Heathrow airport Daniel's mood darkens.

"Lizzie, I've thought about this and I don't want the press all over you. I will get out first and they can take whatever pictures they want of me. I've spoken to my agent, Chris and if I'm asked I will say I'm travelling for work. By the time I've walked through, you should be able to follow, hopefully without being bothered. That OK?" I know I must look relieved because I hadn't even thought about what would happen once we got to the airport. I remember all of the pictures I saw of Daniel when he went to New York and I feel uneasy at how public his life is. I nod in agreement.

"That's fine. Good thinking. Where do I need to meet you?" I can see by his reaction that he has thought a lot about this.

"Inside Heathrow VIP. They will know to expect you." I look a little confused because this is all so strange. "I'll wait for you." With that he kisses my knuckles again which sets my skin alight and opens the door.

The driver passes Daniel his bag and even though apparently no one knew he was meant to be here, there are still a few photographers. Some people seem to circle when they realise who has arrived. I watch through the darkened window as the driver gets back in and he looks every inch the movie star. He graciously poses for each selfie and some alone photographs. As we pull away he watches the car and I can see how sad he looks. I want to tell the driver to stop so that I can get out now and show him that none of this bothers me. But in reality it does; it overwhelms me how the public own a piece of him when my life is so private, so I do as he asks and stay in the car.

We circle the area and I discover that the driver's name is Lawrence and he reassures me that I will be able to go through without any fuss. I thank him for his help while he hands me my bag and I walk through the designated entrance. I pass through without anyone batting an eyelid and I wonder how much Daniel would enjoy this unanimity.