Chapter 24

Snow fell lazily from the sky, getting caught in the fur of the SunClan warriors and sprinkling the ground, turning it white. The trees were bare and the air was cold. Flowerpelt hated the snow, hunting and patrols were cold especially in the morning. Hunting was getting poor and she knew that sickness was around the corner. She sat in camp with Stormwind, waiting for Mallownose to assign them to a patrol like she said she would.

Flowerpelt's eyes went to Cloudstorm and Barkfang who were sitting outside the nursery. It had been two moons since Barkfang, Rustpelt, Snakewhisker and Willownose all became warriors and Cloudstorm had recently moved to the nursery with Barkfang's kits. Moonfur had also given birth to Poppykit, Springkit and Lakekit. The Clan was overjoyed with the birth of new kits but Flowerpelt couldn't help but remember the last leaf-bare when two kits died. Poppykit, Springkit and Lakekit were so incredibly young, so was Blazekit. Icekit and Snowkit would be apprentices any day now.

Flowerpelt sighed and looked away, wishing she could shake the feeling of dread that came along with the cold season. She licked her fur, trying to keep warm. Behind her and Stormwind, Flowerpelt heard pawsteps crunching in the snow. They turned to see Foxstar, his ginger fur standing out like blood against the white snow. "Can I talk to you two?"

Flowerpelt shared a look with Stormwind who looked confused, but Flowerpelt was pretty sure she knew what would be going on. The two sisters agreed and stood up to follow their leader.

Once in the SunTree, Flowerpelt took a look around. She never really came in here, it was cozy and warm. "What did you want to talk to us about?" Flowerpelt questioned, though she was confident she already knew the answer.

"Today is Icekit and Snowkit's apprentice ceremony, I was wondering if the two of you would want to be their mentors?" Foxstar looked over the two of them, his green eyes curious.

"We'd love to!" Stormwind exclaimed loudly nearly jumping off the ground. "I was hoping I'd be able to mentor Snowkit."

"I'd love to as well." Flowerpelt purred.

"Then it's decided. It's about sunhigh, I'm going to call the ceremony." Flowerpelt and Stormwind followed Foxstar out of his den and waited in the center of camp for him to call the ceremony. "Let all cats old enough to gather their own prey gather beneath the SunTree for a Clan meeting!" The Clan was instantly at attention, lifting their heads and turning to get up and head to the center of camp.

"This is so exciting!" Stormwind said to Flowerpelt, clearly getting ready to burst at the seams in pure joy. "We're finally going to be mentors!"

Flowerpelt nodded in agreement but her stomach twisted in knots. She had really been wanting an apprentice lately, but now that it was actually happening...she was worried. What if I'm not a good mentor? She questioned, claws scraping at the frozen ground. Icekit's entire life as a warrior is dependent on me. She tried to calm her racing heart, managing to keep her head steady.

Flowerpelt looked towards the nursery where Frostclaw was struggling to keep her daughters in check, both were incredibly eager to get started. Finally, Frostclaw let her kits go and sat down beside Jayflight as they waited for the ceremony to begin. Flowerpelt took a deep breath and looked to Foxstar as he began to speak.

"Today is a proud day for SunClan," He meowed, voice resonating. "By naming apprentices we show that we will remain strong for many moons to come. Icekit and Snowkit have reached the age of six moons and are ready to become apprenticed." Flowerpelt prepared herself, remembering the other apprentice ceremonies she had experienced, including her own. "Snowkit, from this day forward, until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Snowpaw. Your mentor will be Stormwind, an incredibly talented she-cat who I know will teach you all that you need."