01; A Bloody Housewife

March 1911

The task was simple- collect information. And simply is how it played out.

She walked down the cobblestone path; her small heels clicking in a steady beat as her long legs strut.
Her wide, circular hat was pulled down slightly to one side- covering her eyes from everyone else's view. All that was visible was the smirk casted on her red-painted lips- a smirk that screamed victory.

The girl was only young- 19 at that, yet she knew the horrors of the real world and today had been her first task for the family business.

It wasn't huge but it wasn't small- a rival gang from a neighbouring part of Birmingham was stirring up trouble for her father and his business associates- the Shelby's and so she was given the task to get information from one of the lower members of the rivalling gangs.

How? Well she wasn't told that so she went her own way about it- getting the lad drunk and seducing him. She obviously didn't follow through on her suggestive actions- she was too young for that and it wasn't needed. She found out what their next move was and now made her way to the Shelby household where she knew her father would be.

Ever since the Shelby brothers father abandoned them, Damon VanCourt saw to it that the boys knew about business and for that they saw him as somewhat of a father figure- the same with Adelaide who would stop by to visit the boys, Ada and her friend Polly, always bearing gifts and food.

"Sef darling!" Her father greeted as she walked into the house
"Father" she said with a bright smile- only her family and friends were familiar with a smile so bright.
Her father brought her into one of the offices at the back where Arthur Shelby Jr was also waiting and asked for the news
A bright smile too appeared on his face and Arthur cheered- gently slapping the girls back.
"Knew ya had it in ya peach I knew it" Arthur laughed
Persephone just chuckled at the old nickname that Arthur had become accustomed to calling her ever since he found out her strange obsession with the fruit.

"Proud of you sweetie- now why don't ya head on back home yeah? Help ya Ma a bit- it's Friday night!" Damon exclaimed, throwing an arm around the two young adults as he steered them out of the office.
Friday night was a good night- the shop would close up half an hour early and the Shelby's would all head on over to the VanCourts for dinner and usually head down to the Garrison afterwards.

Persephone had changed into something a little nicer- as she always does for dinner on a Friday night. It was a simple maroon velvet spaghetti strap dress which ended just before her knees and he paired it with a black shawl draped over her arms.
It was tradition that the VanCourt females got ready together hence why Persephone sat in front of the vanity applying some deep red lipstick whilst Eliza messed with her hair- placing it in a low bun at the back of her head with loose ringlets framing her face. Pearls were added around her neck and perfume spritzed.

Adelaide smiled softly as she helped young Delilah pin her hair up too- wanting to be a proper lady even though she was only 9.

"You look gorgeous sister" Eliza says- looking at Persephone through the mirror.
Persephone analysed her sister- she was drop dead gorgeous and so opposite to herself- she often wonders how they are related, with Eliza's blonde hair and blue eyes to Persephone's brown hair and brown eyes.
"Thank you Eliza though let's just say I understand why dear old Benjamin wasted a good pair of trousers on Birmingham's dirty floor to get one one knee to you" Persephone laughed along with Eliza and their mother who had heard the comment.
"I'll make sure someone will repeat that missy when you're engaged" her mother winks at her causing her to snort.
"As if Ma, can you imagine me becoming a bloody housewife?" She laughed
"Hey! Marrying doesn't always mean you become a housewife" her mother defended jokingly
"Especially if you marry someone like hmm.. Thomas Shelby?!" Eliza teased.