Chapter two: Another year in hell

Chapter two

J.R Milligan slammed the door to his 1971 Ford pickup and faced North Denver High School, sighing deeply. The building towered over the parking lot, the looming shadow seeming to eat students as they passed under its shelter.

On the front of the building was a huge sign next to the old tobacco free posters.

New and old students please note the revised dress code:

-          No tight skirts

-          No skirts above the knee

-          No shorts above the knee

-          No tank tops

-          No low-cut tops

-          No sweat pants

-          No gym Shorts

-          No vulgar writing on clothing

-          No undergarments showing

-          No pajamas

-          No sheer clothing

That was a lot of no’s. He had a feeling this year was going to be awful.

“This damn place will kill me yet,” he muttered and trudged towards the familiar entrance. It was the first time he was coming back to school since you know what had happened. That just made the hole in his stomach grow and he tried to push the thought out of his mind.

As soon as he shoved open the front doors a small crowd of people sitting around a table in the lobby started shouting and waving for him to come over.

He recognized all of them and quickly replaced his sour expression with a wide grin and approached the group with a new spring to his step. No use in depressing the rest of them, he thought.

“J. Milligan!” The short brunette sang and wrapped him in a hug. Jennifer Rainy had been his friend since the fifth grade and he'd never seen her without a smile on her face.

“Careful Jen,” her friend said cautiously, eyes wide. “You don’t wanna let the CV catch you.”

“It was just a hug,” Jennifer said resentfully, stepping back a few feet.

The CV were the church volunteers that had cheerfully agreed to roam our halls and keep the peace in any way possible. That meant no PDA whatsoever.

“Look who decided to show up,” said the boy with the red hair and the Denver High baseball t-shirt, smiling widely and taking J.R’s hand, shaking it. “This place is already bad enough without you around.”

Nick Collins had been his best friend for a few years now. They’d been like partners in crime, always pulling pranks and ganging up on the teachers in class. But ever since you know what, J.R hadn’t talked to Nick as much. He'd missed him.

“Nick, you son of a gun,” J.R said loudly, clapping his friend on the back. “You know I’m only here for the females.”

He turned to the two girls beside of Nick and winked, “Ladies.” They giggled girlishly, smoothing their hair.

Nick just rolled his eyes knowingly. “Haven’t changed much, have you Milligan?”

J.R shrugged, “Why mess with perfection?”