Chapter 4

Morning had come quickly and before either of them knew it, it was time to wake up. It was a Friday so Dick had the day off, he still decided to wake up early though. He didn't like sleeping in too late, he felt it was the waste of a possibly good day.

When Dick had left his bedroom and made his way into the kitchen, he was slightly shocked to see Damian already sitting on the barstool. He jumped a bit, forgetting that Damian was even here.

"Did I scare you?" Damian said, the smallest smile tugging at his lips. "Of course not." Dick lied. He was glad Damian wasn't mad at him for what happened last night. "Hey, don't you have school?" Dick asked, realizing Damian doesn't have a day off like he does.

"No, I'm homeschooled." Damian answered. "Of course you are." Dick joked. The two chatted while Dick made them breakfast. They talked mostly of mundane things like 'why Monday's are the worst'. Even Damian laughed a bit at Dick's reasonings.

Dick had cooked pancakes and eggs for them. When he was done he set a plate for Damian on the bar. Damian thanked him and began eating. Dick went to sit next to him and started eating as well.

It was silent, but a comfortable silence. Nothing but clinking forks against plates. It was soothing, sort of like this was how it was supposed to be. Like this was normal, as if they've done it for years.

When they had finished, the plates had been put in the sink and Dick went to his room to get dressed. He simply put on a pair of black jeans and a long sleeved blue shirt.

When Dick came back out, he realized that Damian has been wearing the same clothes. All he had was a torn red hoodie (Most likely from the street fight) and jeans. "Hey, Damian, you can borrow one of my hoodies if you want. Since yours is torn" Dick offered.

Damian thought for a moment but soon took up his offer. He followed Dick to his room and over to the closet. Inside the closet was a mess. It was small, just one rack, which would probably explain why so many clothes were on the floor.

Dick quickly picked up a dark blue hoodie from the ground and gave it to Damian. "You're not very organized, Grayson. This closet is a disaster." Damian said, taking the hoodie from Dick.

Dick scratched the back of his neck, embarrassed. "I don't have much time to clean really, I'm always at work." Dick said. Damian just rolled his eyes playfully, taking off his torn hoodie and putting on the blue one.

Damian practically swam in it. The hoodie reached halfway down his thighs. Dick concealed an 'awh' knowing how mad Damian would get.

"I need to get down to the police department to pick up some files, then we can do whatever." Dick said. "I have to go with you?" Damian asked, uninterested. "Yes, I can't leave you here, obviously." Dick answered. "I'll be quick I promise!" Dick said with a smile.

Dick lived close to the department so the two walked. When they got there, Dick was greeted with 'Hey rookie's and 'how's it going'. Damian kept a scowl on his face as people looked at him.

One of Dick's coworkers grabbed Damian by the shoulder, stopping him. "Still got the brat, rookie?" Dick was going to just keep walking when he heard a yelp. He turned around to see the man clutching his hand. "He bit me!"

Damian crossed his arms, still scowling. "Damian!" Dick said, and grabbed his upper arm. "Apologize to him." Damian frowned and turned slightly angry. "He deserved it." Was all he said. "You're not an animal, you don't bite someone!"

Damian huffed and grumbled an apology. Dick said his own apology and pulled Damian along. They had finally got to his desk. Damian sat in the chair as Dick got his files together. He could hear people whispering about him and began feeling self conscious, but he hid it.

"Alright! I've got everything, we can go ahead and go." Dick said happily. Damian just grunted and stood up, following him back out the door.

They walked down the sidewalk for a bit, not having anything in particular to do. All of sudden Dick gasped, which startled Damian. He looked down at Damian with a huge smile, "What do you say we get some ice cream!" He said. He didn't even wait for his answer, and instead grabbed his hand and dragged him over to the ice cream stand he saw.

"One mint chocolate chip and one.." he said, looking at Damian for an answer. "Vanilla." Damian said, looking at the vendor. "Awh what? Vanillas the most boring flavor." Dick said. "I want vanilla." He said again. "Whatever." Dick said, handing the vendor the money as Damian got their ice cream.

As they walked away, Dick kept pestering Damian about his flavor choice. "I can't believe you got the blandest flavor out there." Dick said, partially looking down at Damian who walked alongside him. "Would you shut up, Grayson? I got vanilla, it's over now." Damian replied, irritated at how bothered Dick was about this.

Damian stopped abruptly, and his heart skipped a beat. Swiftly, Damian threw his ice cream cone in Dicks face and grabbed his hand, pulling him through crowds of people. "Damian, what are you doing?!" Dick yelled, using his free hand to try to wipe some of the ice cream out of his eyes. Damian didn't answer and instead, continues to pull him through the streets.

Damian dragged him into a small antique store and tried to catch his breath. "What the hell was that?!" Dick yelled, confused but still angry. "It..doesn't..matter." Damian replied through breaths. "It obviously matters if you ran 3 blocks in 20 seconds!" Dick retorted.

"I saw someone I know, alright? Happy now!?" Damian yelled, looking at the floor. "Who did you see? Was it one of the gang members you fought?" Dick asked, now worried. "No–Yeah, yeah, gang member." Damian said, trying to cover his first answer. Dick wasn't buying it, but he knew he wasn't going to get anything out of him here.

"Let's just get back to the apartment, alright? We've had enough excitement for one day.."