Chapter 10

The fire crackled merrily in the chimney as Hunter lazily stroked his hands through his guide's hair. He was inspecting the way the strands changed hue in the firelight, the way that he could see the flames dancing over different shades of honey, strawberry, and snow. She was quietly resting, soaking up the very singular attention that only a sentinel could give. The cabin was safe. Hunter had a sensory net cast out over the surrounding area. The back of his mind cataloged the sounds of the nearby radius and filed them away.

Beyond the crackling of their fire, there was the hum of the solar converter providing electricity, the soft shushing of the birds that had taken roost in the overhang and then suddenly a loud popping sound surrounded by two short bursts. The darkness through the eastern window turned into a dim light tinged bright red. Flares!

The noise was loud enough that even Karen could hear it. She shot up from where she'd been reclining on Hunter's broad chest. Her slow comforting heartbeat had skyrocketed in fright. It did not calm down as she hopped over the back of the couch to look out of the window.

"That's Fate's land," Karen shouted, biting her nails in a fit of stress.

Hunter was up and beside her in an instant, "Fate's a strong girl, she's taken care of herself before."

"She is Hunter, but those are alpha's! Two of them!"Karen was starting to panic, her breathing shallow. Hunter gathered his guide into his arms immediately, pressing his forehead against her.

"Breathe with me, guide," he commanded, his voice dropping an octave lower, "Focus on me. I am the sentinel of this area. I will protect you and everyone in my territory."

"Read me, guide," Hunter whispered, closing his own eyes, "Read me and trust your sentinel."

Hunter pressed his forehead against hers and all at once a rush of warmth flooded through her. As if in a trance, Karen's breathing slowed and the cold chill that had dripped down her spine evaporated. Feelings of love and protection slipped through their bond, shoring up her frazzled nerves.

Hunter would do everything to make sure that no tragedy came to Bent Valley. There was no question of trust. His mind was clear, organized and straightforward. There were no secrets between them. There was no fear, no worry, only cool determination. His emotions wrapped around her like his strong arms and Karen let out a final, shaky breath.

"I trust you, Hunter."

Her bonded mate gave her a final squeeze, planting a quick kiss on her lips before drawing away, "Call up the county, have them send Bess and her crew down here. I'll go crank the 4-wheeler."

Karen nodded, her sentinel's calm under pressure translating into her own.

Everything would be alright.

It had to be.

-----------------

Elizabeth "Bess" Shaker was a thirty year veteran of the local NOGS-funded sentinel and guide services center. Born the youngest null daughter of a bustling family full of superhuman sentinels and guides, she was a surprise to everyone she met. Her bearing was so similar to a sentinel that at first meeting, people often mistook her for one. Unfortunately, her only claim to fame was her particularly good eyesight. It wasn't enough to rank on the sentinel charts, but she was quite good at reading the fine print.

Still, in all her years working with sentinels and guides, she'd never quite seen a case like Lafayette Robinson.

Bess hadn't thought much of the quiet girl with the shaved head that came up to take over the old Robinson acreage years after Mrs. Abeline passed and left the place empty. She'd introduced herself around town, as was proper, but mostly kept to herself. She had some kinda fancy IT job that meant the local post office got a lot of big-heavy computer packages, yet she behaved like any other country loner.