nine.

CHAPTER NINE:INTER-DIMENSIONAL ISSUES

CHAPTER NINE:
INTER-DIMENSIONAL ISSUES

[ DIG DUG PART III ]

❖ ❖ ❖

"Can't believe you."

"It's gonna take two minutes — two! I swear it. Besides, what else do we have to do? We can't find her! She specifically asked!"

"Have to talk to Hopper. Or Joyce. Or anyone. Gate is leaking and there is something there! On the other side!"

Knowing Thomas had a completely valid point and having nothing to counter the argument, Steve Harrington simply chose to ignore the boy entirely as he jerked the gear of his BMW and brought the car to a lurching halt outside of the Wheeler residence.

Hurrying to arrange the flowers in a manner that pleased him and sort out his hair, Steve hardly noticed as he climbed from the car that Dustin Henderson stood on the Wheeler's lawn, wearing a purple jumper and an orange t-shirt, presumably on his way out of the home whilst looking rather defeated — but Thomas noticed. He even noticed that, as Steve started down the Wheeler's lawn while continuing to fiddle with his hair and mumbling to himself, Dustin quickly moved across the yellowing grass to meet him half way.

"Steve!" he called, and Thomas quickly wound down his window to peep out his head and listen to what the kid wanted. "Are those for Mr and Mrs Wheeler?"

Steve frowned, glancing down at the red roses held within his right hand. "No."

"Good," remarked Dustin, before he promptly snatched them from Steve's palm and started toward the car in which Thomas slumped. "Oh. Hey, Thomas." He gave an easy grin and a wave with the hand that held the rather expensive flowers Steve and Thomas had bought on the way over; Thomas hesitantly returned it, grinning in a way that was so obviously false it was almost comedic.

"Hey! What the hell? Hey!" Steve shouted from behind.

"Nancy isn't home."

"Well, where is she?"

"Doesn't matter!" Dustin responded as he opened the door to the back seat. "We have bigger problems than your love life." Propping the door open, he turned to Steve, who was still rooted to that particular spot on the Wheeler's sloped front lawn by his converse. "You still have that bat?"

Steve furrowed his eyebrows. Thomas jerked his head around, confused, as they both questioned simultaneously, "Bat? What bat?"