O Christmas Tree (FourTris (M) One-shot)

Title: O Christmas Tree (FourTris One Shot)

Rating: Mature

Author's Note: This one-shot is a collaboration between FourTris_HEA and BK2U. A fellow author mentioned to BK2U in a private message that she wanted to do a Christmas one-shot but that she wasn't sure what it should be about. Reading the message, an image of Tris with a Christmas tree suddenly popped into BK2U's head, and she wrote out a whole scenario for the author. In the meantime, the author had started her own story, so BK2U asked FourTris_HEA if she would be interested in writing it. "O Christmas Tree" is the result of that request. Please note that this story is modern day (AU), and while Tris and Tobias are recognizable characters, they are older (20's) and acting a bit out of character (OOC) compared to their Abnegation-Dauntless-Divergent selves. We hope you enjoy the story, and we wish you very Happy Holidays!!

Summary: Two young adults in their late-20s get into the Christmas spirit while spending a weekend in their childhood neighborhood.

++o+ December 23, 2017 +0++

Pulling out of her parents' driveway, Tris wonders if she will be able to find a decent tree so late in the season. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, after all. Enjoying her view of the familiar streets of Northbrook as she drives her new Range Rover, she is reminded of her childhood. It's hard to believe it's been almost ten years since she graduated high school and moved into the city.

Tris's former elementary school is hosting a sale of Christmas trees in their parking lot during the long winter break. She is relieved to see a decent variety is still available.

Since her father's car accident that broke his hip, things have been so hard for her parents at home. Tris and her brother, Caleb, have tried to be of more help, but the truth is that they both live very busy lives that don't allow for as much time as they would like. Tris sighs, hoping that her father's hip surgery will provide some much-needed relief to her parents' situation.

In the meantime, Tris can only admire how much her parents have bonded together, and especially the efforts of her mother. Natalie Prior is a strong woman who has stepped up to the plate for her husband while also encouraging her children to continue to live their own lives.

Walking through the tree lot, she finds herself drawn to the trees that are all several feet taller than she is. It reminds her of the trees her father would always pick for Christmas when she was growing up. She wants the tree to be a surprise for her parents, and she wants to take care of everything on her own. She knows her father can't do it this year, nor can her mother.

In a quick decision, Tris grabs a full tree that is indeed several feet taller than she. Barely able to drag it to the makeshift checkout table, she wonders how exactly she is going to manage to get it into her family's house. Although Caleb and his wife aren't expected until Christmas Eve, she is hopeful he might just stop by to check in as he often does. She realizes that getting it off the roof of her SUV will be the hardest part.

"That's quite the tree you've got there, young lady," an older gentleman says to Tris as she

finally makes it to the front of the line and hands him the cash for the tree. "Cutting it close, huh?"

Catching her breath and smiling, she replies, "Yeah, you could say that. I just got into town this morning. I'm surprising my parents with a tree for their house. Sounds like a great plan, right?"

"I think it sounds wonderful," the older gentleman turns his head to call over a couple of the younger workers to help Tris with her new tree.

Watching carefully to see how the guys secure the tree to the top of her car, Tris makes sure she will be able to figure out how to untie it later. She is also praying that the tree won't scratch up her new Range Rover. Her boutique is doing very well, so she splurged on the rugged vehicle a few months ago. The tree's branches are splayed out as the worker makes his final knot.