i'll be home for christmas

Harry sits patiently in front of his computer, listening to the all too familiar dial tone of Skype as he waits for his husband to finally answer his call. It was a weekly routine for the couple when Niall was out serving for his country, Harry having grown used to talking to his husband every Friday night at exactly six in the evening after seven years. Harry's heart still skips a beat when he sees his husband's face appear on the screen, his face breaking out into a bright grin. 

"Hello, Sailor." Harry says, winking at his husband which of course caused the older of the two to blush slightly. Seven years and Harry still made Niall feel like a lovesick teenager with a simple nickname. 

"And hello to you. How's your week been? How's our little one?" Niall asks, clearing his throat as he adjusts the hat on his head and Harry looks down at his rather large baby bump with a shrug. Harry was just shy of nine months pregnant with Niall and his first child, something they were both parts excited and terrified about. 

"It's been good, been really busy getting ready for this little guy's arrival... I still feel like I'm forgetting something..." Harry says, grimacing a little when the baby kicks rather harshly. 

"You're forgetting the name, H. You still haven't picked out a name." Niall reminds his husband and Harry's eyes widen for a second as he realizes just how right Niall was. 

"There's just too many to pick from... I'm really regretting not finding out if it was a boy or a girl." 

"Well that was your choice, H." Niall says and Harry rolls his eyes at that. 

"It just didn't feel right finding out without you there... I wanted us to find out at the same time." Harry says and Niall smiles sadly. It wasn't that he didn't want to be there, he would give absolutely anything to have been there... but he'd made a promise to serve his country and Harry supported that promise. 

"I know... but you still need to pick out a name." 

"I've been trying, but there's just... nothing seems right, you know? I want our baby's name to be perfect just like he or she will be... and everything that I've thought of... It doesn't fit." Harry says and Niall chuckles softly before shaking his head. 

"Well I sent a few suggestions in my most recent letter, you should be getting that any day now along with your Christmas present." 

"Why'd you send me a present? You're supposed to be coming home next week." Harry points out and Niall scratches the back of his head rather nervously. 

"I know... and I swear to you that I am doing everything I can in my power to be there... but there's a chance that I might be a little later than originally planned..." Niall says slowly and Harry quirks an eyebrow at that. 

"How much later?" Harry asks, used to this happening. 

"Just a few days this time, I swear." Niall is quick to reassure, recognizing the look on his husband's face. 

"It better be... This kid has been holding out for you, Horan. You're not allowed to miss this, you promised you wouldn't." Harry whispers, trying his hardest not to freak out but he could feel it bubbling up just under the surface. Harry had done a pretty good job of keeping calm this entire pregnancy on his own, but the idea of actually having the kid without Niall there was absolutely terrifying. 

"And I won't, I swear. I'll be home Christmas night." Niall says and Harry still doesn't feel any better. 

"If you're not, I want a divorce." Harry says, trying to make a joke of it but Niall could tell just how freaked out Harry really was. It wasn't like Harry was alone in this, he had the support of his family and Niall's... but it just wasn't the same.