What we used to be

~Chiyuki P.O.V~

I was walking into a cold dark room, the air was thin and still, and there was a dusty piano sitting solemnly in the corner. A women played, and her long, luscious chestnut hair swayed behind her as she played and stretched to hit the keys with such passion and ease.
I wanted to reach out to her, but I felt like if I did, I'd cause the room to ripple, dissolve or disappear. So I remained silent, then I caught a glimpse in the corner of my eye, something blue. I whirled around, and saw two figures standing at the door at the end of the room. However, I couldn't see their faces, but my heart leaped and I had an urge just to run closer, and closer...but fear had me stopped in my tracks. My body became tense, and my throat tightened as a gush of cold air swept across the room. The women stopped playing. My heart was racing, and I began to scream. "Who are you?! What do you want from me?!" I collapsed on my knees and leaned my head against the cold floor, I felt safer that way somehow. I waited for awhile. Then moments later everything fell silent, I slowly lifted my head, and looked around cautiously and saw that the room was completely empty...was it all just a figment of my imagination? Even so, if felt too real and familiar for that to be true. I felt myself slowly drift away, and my mind became blank and silent.

It was now morning, and the beams of sunlight streamed through the windows. Chiyuki woke up slowly, her face painted with confusion, as she attempted to recollect her thoughts from the mysterious dream. Her face was blank, pale, lifeless and sad. The colour seemed to be drained from her eyes, leaving them a sorrowful gray. "It wasn't real" she sighed with a mixture of both sadness and relief. "Yeah, it was all just a dream" she said convincingly.

Chiyuki then walked to the nearby park, in an attempt to clear her head and ease her mind. She could hear the snow crunch under her as she treaded on the snow, and the crisp winter air filled her lungs as she gazed happily at the two children playing on the swings as she walked by. One was a girl, with short brown hair, who had the brightest smile. The other, a young boy, possibly her younger brother. Chiyuki continued to walk for awhile, then sat down on the frost coated bench, and sighed deeply as she closed her eyes momentarily. Her breath visible in the frosty air. She took a glimpse at the frozen lake, that glistened in the sunlight. There was a young girl, with long dark hair that swirled in the wind as she glided on the ice. She skated with such ease and elegance, Chiyuki was entralled by it all. Chiyuki's smile fell away suddenly, and her heart stopped as she looked down at her feet. A sensation of numbness drowned her. She felt a familiar, sharp pang in her heart, however she felt so distant at the same time...
If only she could be reminded of what she once knew, and cling onto those fragments of memories...

How could something so unforgettable, become forgettable?