i. mental health disorders

as someone who suffers from mental health issues, i often find fanfictions where the oc has mental health disorders, hard to read. mainly because the author doesn't seem like they've done much research on the disorder and/or they romanticize it.

i'm going to give you some tips if your oc has depression or anxiety, as they are the mental health issues i suffer with. if your oc suffer from something else, i recommend doing as much research as possible, and if you still find it impossible to write about, then don't make your oc suffer with it! there are other ways to make your story interesting than having your oc suffer from mental health disorders.

DEPRESSION

- often feels hopeless and/or pessimistic

- loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy

- difficulties with concentration, remembering stuff and/or making decisions

- difficulties with sleeping or oversleeping

- appetite may change and their weight may change

- decreased energy

- thoughts of death and/or suicide

ANXIETY

- sleeping problems

- muscle tension

- difficulties with concentrating

- difficulty controlling the worry

also, remember that there are different things that can trigger these illnesses! my depression gets worse when i'm stressed out (which is often due to school), and my anxiety gets worse when i'm around a lot of people (e.g. shopping malls, concerts) or if i'm meeting someone new.

and for the love of god, don't romanticize illnesses!! it's not cute if your oc is having a panic attack and richie decides to kiss them just to calm them down,, like that's not how it works???!!

hope this helped you, and if your oc is suffering from one or both of these illnesses and you still need help then don't be afraid to ask me!

- thea ( -tozier )