What We Might Yet Discover and Create

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.                             ~ Albert Einstein

     Creativity and imagination were becoming very important to Albert. He began to see what our lives could be if we could have a bigger understanding of ourselves. He began to see what the world could be if we could have a bigger understanding of our world.

     Did everyone agree with him? No, of course not. Many of his teachers were intimidated by his big thoughts and higher-level questions.  Others didn't understand Albert's stubbornness in challenging the rules and thinking that made no sense and thought he was arrogant.

     But Albert was willing to sacrifice his ego for his passion. He was a big dreamer now and a big thinker who saw the world that could be and spent the rest of his life trying to make that world come true. He cared less of what others thought of him and more of what others thought of themselves.

          He continued to be a student of great thinkers and discovered his favorite author in Immanuel Kant. Can you guess who Kant studied and was powerfully influenced by 200 years earlier than Einstein? Who was Albert earlier influenced by? That's right, Euclid. 

     Big thinkers surround themselves with other big thinkers. And before Albert finally became a famous mathematician and scientist he became a teacher. You know what he said about himself as a teacher? "I never teach my pupils, I only provide the conditions in which they can learn."  

     What does this tell us? It tells us we can provide the conditions in which we can best learn. We can surround ourselves with big thinking and big thinkers. Let's look for those big moments, big people, and big things like books that can have a powerful and positive influence on the rest of our lives. 

     And you know what else? Let's be those big people that have a powerfully positive influence on those around us!

     It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.                 ~  Albert Einstein

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives. ~ Albert Einstein