1

[2001]

Alexia rested her head against the car window, sighing loudly as her mom continued to babble on about her new job in Georgia and her oh so extraordinary effort in making a good first impression

Alexia rested her head against the car window, sighing loudly as her mom continued to babble on about her new job in Georgia and her oh so extraordinary effort in making a good first impression. Her mom loved everything about their new life. Alexia didn't, quite the opposite. Since they moved to Georgia, she felt the loss of her father deeply every single day. Alexia missed her buddies, her old house, the heavy scent of fall in Upstate New York, even the unappetizing food from the local Chinese takeaway she used to share with her German shepherd, Rufus. Most importantly, she desired a protective and affectionate fatherly guidance.

"You have been utterly quiet today, how was your first day of college, Alex?" Carina decided to ask her daughter as the silence in the four-wheel drive began to drive her crazy and make her feel terribly uncomfortable.

"I don't want to talk about it, mom" Alexia murmured as she glowered at the blood red horizon above the main road. Alexia was too tired to care how her lackadaisical answer came off, she just wanted to be at home and bury herself under her fluffy and warm duvet.

The rest of the drive was completely silent. Carina didn't know what to answer her undoubtedly conflicted and depressed teenage daughter nor how to help her get through whatever frustrated her. According to Carina, she had already tried everything to help Alexia and nothing had worked. She had formally given up.

Alexia stepped out of the black Dacia Duster and rapidly grabbed her leather school bag on the car mat underneath the front seat as soon as her mom turned off the engine. "I'm not hungry, you don't have to prepare dinner for me," Alexia said, calmly closing the car door behind her, leaving her mother alone in the dark and quite frigid driveway.

Carina sighed loudly as she pulled her keys out of the ignition, staring despairingly at Alexia who was waiting for her outside their new home.

"There's a key under the sand coloured plant pot," Carina shouted as she exited the car, pointing at the Delray plants next to Alexia.

Alexia lifted the muddy, sand coloured pot and picked up the key, rolling her eyes as she got dirt under her nails. "This is so typical," She muttered under her breath as she watched her mother walk towards her. Everything about their new life annoyed Alexia, even the plant pots on the porch to the stupid key she was holding in her hand.

"You forgot this in the car, Alex," Carina said, handing Alexia a blue flyer. "Considering taking extra sports classes?".

"Maybe," Alexia answered, avoiding eye contact as she took the flyer, rapidly tucking it into her school bag.

"You should do it, maybe it'll help you find some new friends here," Carina smiled as she opened the heavy front door, looking happily at her daughter. "You're pretty good at basketball in High School, remember? Dad always-".

"Why do you always have to bring up dad?!" Alexia hissed, walking past her mother. "Thanks a lot for bringing me here, by the way, I really do hate this place if you're wondering," She added in frustration, running up the stairs to her room, feeling more down than yesterday.

Alexia closed the door behind her and threw herself down on her bed, sobbing bitterly. How could her mother be so blind? It was so evident she felt alone and unfamiliar in Georgia. Besides that, I didn't quite help to live in the middle of nowhere. What was she thinking? Alexia hoped her mother would change her mind and move back to Upstate New York, but she knew the chances were slim.

After lying down for almost twenty minutes, tossing around in frustration and gazing at her school bag, she finally decided to read the flyer a random dude from College gave her. What could possibly be bad about checking it out? Nothing.

"Jaguars, first-year students, girls, Monday from 3:00 to 4:30 pm and Wednesday from 6:00 to 7:30 pm, coach Negan," Alexia read out loud as she went through the different types of extra sports classes, running her hands over the sharp paper. "Coach Negan," She repeated, imagining how he probably looked like; old and grumpy like the rest of her new teachers.

Alexia tossed out the flyer and sighed, "Great, another disappointment".

/I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I know it's short! Anyway, Merry Christmas everybody. I love and appreciate y'all. xo Michelle