Chapter Six

"Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." – Proverbs 19:21

Cole sighed as he tossed his basketball into the air. It landed back in the palm of his hand before he tossed it up again. A Green Day song was blasting through his headphones, so he didn't hear anyone knock until Mr. Anderson suddenly pushed open the door to Cole's room.

Cole was caught off guard for a second. Instead of catching the basketball as it flipped through the air, he turned, causing the ball to descend directly onto his face. "Ow!" he exclaimed, sitting up and tenderly touching his nose. "What do you want?" he snapped at his dad.

Mr. Anderson sighed and shook his head. "You're this close to being grounded again, Cole. Remember what I told you about talking back?"

"Yes," Cole muttered, yanking the headphones out of his ears.

"Good. Well, now that we're on the same page, can I show you something in the garage?"

Cole shrugged and followed his dad out of the room. They walked into the garage, where Mr. Anderson flipped on the light switch, bathing the workshop in a soft yellow glow.

Cole's heart immediately dropped to the bottom of his stomach. He could not believe this was happening right now. His gaze flickered from his dad, to the airbrushed surfboard lying in the middle of the garage, and back to his dad again.

Mr. Anderson suppressed a laugh by coughing loudly into his fist. "So tell me, Cole," he said, obviously trying to conceal his amusement, "what is this?"

He gestured to the board, and Cole's heart started racing. "Um..."

Footsteps could be heard coming from the hallway. Blaine suddenly appeared in the doorway, his curious eyes darting from Cole, to their dad, to the fresh surfboard. He smiled widely. "Nice design, bro."

"Blaine," Mr. Anderson said sternly, "this is between Cole and I."

"Okay," he said, but his shoulders were shaking with silent laugther.

"Blaine. Out." Though Mr. Anderson crossed his arms over his chest, his eyes were twinkling in amusement.

As soon as his brother left, Cole sighed and buried his head in his hands. "Can I leave now?" he groaned.

"Oh, you're not off the hook yet. You still have to explain what this is." Mr. Anderson pointed to the surfboard.

Cole sighed, realizing his dad wasn't going to budge. "I just—I don't know—I thought it looked cool," he stammered.

"You've never done something like this before."

"Dad, I've been designing boards for almost six years."

"I'm talking about her." Mr. Anderson gestured to the surfer girl, her blonde hair swishing around her shoulders, airbrushed onto the left side of the stringer. She was gazing intently at the turquoise waves, a slight smile on her face. "What's up with the girl?"

The way Dad asked the question made Cole think he knew something Cole didn't. "Why? What's so bad about it?" he asked testily.

"Nothing. I was just curious. What prompted you to draw a girl?"

"I dunno."

Mr. Anderson gave his son an expression that showed he clearly wasn't buying it. "Cole," he said quietly, "if there's a certain someone on your mind, don't be afraid to tell me. I like that you're taking out your feelings on your work, but you don't—"