Chapter Nineteen

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths." – Proverbs 3:5-6

Cole placed his hands flat on the deck of his board and pushed. As the power of the wave helped him surge forward, he popped up to his feet and raced down to the bottom. A cool spray of saltwater hit him in the face as he zoomed around a section of whitewash. Once there was a clean shoulder in front of him, he threw his arms up and twisted his hips to pull a satisfying snap off the lip.

Cole allowed his momentum to carry him down the wave and set up for another turn. This time, he made a roundhouse cutback that brought him back into the pocket. He finished his ride with an attempt at a huge tail slide that nearly caused him to wipe out.

He carefully lay down on his surfboard and let the whitewater carry him into shore. As soon as he was in shallow water, he stood up and wrapped his leash around the tail of his board. He saw Alana emerging from the water farther down the beach, squeezing the saltwater out of her hair. The bulky bandage wrapped around her left thigh was visible from beneath her wetsuit.

Cole didn't know whether to catch up with her or just hang back and play it cool. He stared dumbly at Alana's figure as she headed across the sand. Aw, screw it. He quickly jogged over to her. "Hey," he said, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"Oh, hey!" Alana grinned. "Great waves today, huh?"

"Yeah." Cole glanced over his shoulder at the rolling lines of swells. The wave height had increased over the past few days. Most sets were now easily overhead.

"How's your leg doing?" he asked, gesturing to Alana's hamstring.

"Better—but it's starting to itch."

"That's not keeping you from shredding, apparently." Cole grinned. Even though it was her first time in the water since the accident, she was surfing just as beautifully as before—even though Cole could tell she was favoring her right leg over her left. But she was still making good progress after only resting her hamstring for one day.

Alana laughed. "True," she replied. "Nothing can hold me back from surfing."

"You either go all out, or don't paddle out."

"Exactly."

Cole was relieved at their brief connection. They smiled in unison and continued walking towards the parking lot. He let out a deep breath, glad that The Plan was still working. He had over the past few days that it was easier to be nice and friendly than it was to be selfish. He regretted acting like a jerk during the first week of the surfing safari.

The gang had been a little wary of Cole's attitude change, but that was expected. Even Blaine had been a little surprised, as if he didn't expect his twin to take his advice seriously. But Cole wasn't going into The Plan halfhearted. You either go all out, or don't paddle out.

The temperature suddenly dropped a few degrees when a large cloud blocked the sun overhead. Being the hottest part of the day, it was still fairly warm. To keep his shortboard off the sand, Cole stuck it in between his legs while he unzipped his wetsuit. He slipped the material down to his waist, allowing his bare chest to soak up the warm sunrays. It felt good to feel the cool sea breeze on his back.

After grabbing a quick bite to eat, the gang decided to stay in Huntington Beach for the rest of the evening since the waves were still firing. They had been pumping for three straight days, but now it was time to check out the next spot south—Newport. They agreed to have an evening surf session by the pier before heading to Newport Beach tomorrow morning.