Ch. 1

September 5, 1912

"Lady Anne." Ella, the Head Housemaid, said knocking on my bedroom door. "Come in."I said sitting up in bed, my hair in my face. "I beg your pardon milday, I didn't know you were asleep."she said coming in and closing my door behind her. "Not to worry, Ella. I should have been up ages ago."I said getting out of bed. She laid my traveling suit over my dressing table chair and went into the bathroom to run my bath.
"You shouldn't have done that."I said walking into the bathroom to find the tub filled with hot water and fresh flower petals. "I wanted to milday since you are leaving for Yorkshire today."she smiled folding a white, fluffy towel. "Thank you, Ella. You are a treasure."I smiled taking off my nightgown.
Once I was bathed Ella emptied the bath while I tried off. "I thought this would be apprioate for your journey, milday."she said laying a grey blouse and grey skirt on my bed. "Perfect. Thank you."I smiled. She smiled back and opened my wardrobe. "Oh golly."I thought as she began adjusting my corset. I loved the figure it gave me but putting it on was battle. "You look lovely, milday."Ella smiled putting one last pin in my hair. "Thank you."I said looking in the mirror. My traveling suit was simple yet elegant much like something my dear cousin Sybil would wear.
"Her Ladyship is in the dining room."Mrs. Huckabee, the Housekeeper, said coming in my room. "Thank you. I will walk down now."I said walking out of my bedroom. "I'm sad to be leaving you."I said standing in the hall. "And I am sad to see you leave."Mrs. Huckabee said giving me a comforting smile. "You have been so good to me."I said tears forming in my eyes. "It was a pleasure to be your Nanny."she offered me her hankerchief, "I know your parents would have been immensely proud of the young lady you have become." "Oh Mrs. Huckabee."I said starting to properly cry. She let me lay my head on her shoulder and have a small cry.
While walking down the grand staircase with her memories of my childhood with her flooded back. Memories of tea parties, massive hairbows, and sadly my parents funeral in 1907. I was 14 at the time and Nanny Huckabee, as she was known as at the time, was the only living mother figure I had in Birmingham.
Once we were to the dining room, Mrs. Huckabee politely excused herself and I went in. "Good morning Aunt Rosamund."I said walking in. "Good morning my darling Anne."she smiled slightly turning in her chair. "Good morning Hewitt."I smiled using serving utensils to get sausage and eggs. "Good morning milday."the Butler nodded keeping a very serious, straight face. I sat down at the table on Aunt Rosamund's right and began eating.
"You will love Downton."Aunt Rosamund said folding her copy of The Sketch. "I hope so. Mumma and Poppa talked about it often."I said cutting my eggs. "Well it's where Richard and I grew up."she said sipping her coffee. Once breakfast was over we left so Hewitt and the footmen Peter and Joseph could clear the dining room.
"We will all be waiting downstairs."Aunt Rosamund said standing at the bottom of the stairs. I nodded and starting walking up them for one last time. "Your luggage is all packed and attached to the car."Mrs. Huckabee said fixing the pillows on my bed. "Thank you."I smiled looking around my room. I was so happy to be leaving London that I could burst, but I would miss the people inside this old city. I took once last look and closed my bedroom door for one final time.
"Goodbye my darling girl."Aunt Rosamund said laying both her hands on my shoulders. "Goodbye Aunt Rosamund."I said kissing her cheek lightly. She smiled as I stepped away to say the rest of my goodbyes. Once I had said goodbye to the Butler, the maids, and the footmen it was time to say my hardest goodbye of all.
"You need to be strong."Mrs. Huckabee said drying her eyes with Hewitt's hankerchief. "I will because you taught me how."I smiled nearly crying again. "Please send us a letter to let us know how you are getting settled."she said sobbing more than crying. "I will."I said squeezing her hands. She smiled and let go of my hands.
"Thank you Burns."I said stepping into the car. He nodded and closed the door. He got in the driver's seat and started to drive away. I turned around as Aunt Rosamund's house became smaller and smaller amongst the cars and buildings we passed. I turned back around in my seat and sighed. I couldn't believe it. I was finally getting to leave gloomy, smoke filled London and be headed for Downton Abbey.