Collateral Damage

By the time the police got to the club, almost everyone had fled. Or died. It was just me, Joie and Prince K's bodyguard who was mortally wounded in the crossfire. There were 6 fatalities, Yara, Shanie, Lubna and the twins, Poppy and Holly, my girls.......
Then there was Prince K.
They didnt deserve this.
Before I could stop myself, the tears are overflowing.
"Who knew the Ice Queen, had emotions", a deep voice said from behind me.
Without even turning, I knew who he was, my ex, Detective Sasha. I wipe at my face.
"And if it isnt the man with the bitch name", he scowls, bingo little BITCH.
"What happened here?", he asks frowning.
I try to recount what happened but he keeps cutting me off and mouthing off at me being unprofessional.
"I would like to speak to your superior, you irk me".
"That will be at HQ, Kwaise".
"Okay then, lead the way".
The drive to the station was quiet and reflective.
My girls.. Prince K, my god of caramel.
As soon as we reach the police HQ, I was ushered into an interrogation  room. My wait wasnt long, a female detective walks in with a coffee in hand.
"Hi, I am Detective Alvarez. You can call me Shireen", she says as she sits.
I just nod.
"Would you need anything to drink before we begin?" she asks..
A quick shake of the head was the only response she got.
I look her over, thinking she was absolutely stunning. South American most likely. Tanned, long dark curly hair, long eyelashes housing large globular hazel eyes. Her clothes didnt do justice to her beautifully tall curvy body. She clears her throat probably realising I was staring too hard, I look away.
"Can you go over what happened with me?"
"Yes. And I can show you some of it"
Her eyebrows raise in surprise.
I hand her my phone after unlocking it.
She watches the whole thing, using a hand to cover her mouth. In shock. Watching intently.
"This is good, I will be right back", she tried to leave with my phone.
"I need to make calls to let everyone know I'm okay", I say.
She reluctantly drops the phone on the table and leaves.
I call Joie to see how she was.
"Hey Jo, you okay?"
"Yes, Kay. I am at the HQ too. Just tired and worried for Brayden".
"No word yet? Have you called him?"
"Keeps diverting to voicemail".
"I'm sorry, do you want to stay over at mines till you feel better?"
"I wouldn't want to impose Kay".
"Its fine, I offered".
"Thanks Kay. I don't know what I would do without you".
"Please dont Jo, I will always take care of my family".
I think back to the first time I met her, stripping trying to pay her way through college. All I could see was a beautiful girl that didnt need to sell her soul to better herself, so I offered her a job. We have been together ever since.
"Wait for me so we leave together"
"Okay"
"The detective is here, hold up" I whisper.
The detective closes the door gently. From her countenance I could tell something was wrong. She starts to pace around the room and I ask nervously..
"Is there a problem?"
She didnt answer, just pulls a gun on me.
"I am sorry I have to do this. Higher powers and all", she was shaking.
Visibly shaking.
"What in the world is going on?" I hear Joie ask.
"Alert the detectives with you, I am about to be executed"
Click, I hang up.
I couldnt even reach my Beretta which was safely tucked in my boots.
"Its not personal, my boss wants you dead. He needs you dead" she says pleadingly. I almost feel sorry for her.
"Its okay, you do what you have to do Shireen", I say hands in the air.
Surrendering.
The door bursts open, there was a flurry of blue then a gun goes off and someone dives to cover me. I close my eyes and wait for the other shoe to drop, death. I count till I cant breathe and realise someone is still on top of me.
"Commissioner, Detective Alvarez has been apprehended", someone somewhere says.
I slowly open my eyes and for a second I truly believe I am in heaven.
The most familiar, most beautiful brown eyes I had ever seen in my life stared back.
"Uncle Aladdin?" I say, shocked.
"Hey, beautiful", He says and smiled, the most perfect smile I have ever seen.
He helps me up.
"I had to come see that it was truly you"
He hugs me, stunned I just hugged back and snuggled into his security again, remembering the little girl I was.
                  After the video had been put into evidence and our statements had been taken, Ameer offers to drop Joie and I home. The bodyguard had died unfortunately, which was so sad to hear. I hope they dont get away with it, with witnesses dropping like flies. The drive was a melancholic but peaceful one, Ameer would squeeze my fingers from time to time bringing me out of my daze. We get to my house, Joie thanks him and hops out.
"Wait Kwaise. Some police men will be stationed outside". I nod.
He hands me a phone.
"My number is speed dial 1. Call me if anything comes up. I live about 5 minutes away", He says reassuringly, squeezing my hand.
"What if she told her bosses who I am?" I ask, anxiety clouding my judgement.
"Most likely she did and that's why we have policemen stationed all the way down the block and around the back of the house".
"Thanks Ameer" I say, looking at him "for saving my life".
"Youre welcome, Cookie Monster", I laugh and cringe remembering all the silly names he used to call me. Cookie monster being the worst of them all.
I quietly close the door then punch in my alarm code.
I take a shower, slip into a pair of silk pyjamas and wander off to my pool side with a glass of red wine thinking of the days events. What a crock of shit.
How did we get here?
Prince Kaseem.... what a waste.
Those beautiful eyes.
My emerald city.
Yara, lively Yara.
Shanie, bossy Shanie.
Lubna, fierce belly dancer extraordinnaire.
Poppy and Holly, the beautiful britsh twins.
Where the hell is Bray?
My thoughts had no filter as I tried to shut everything out.
I hope Joie is alright, I should check on her.
I walk silently to the guest room. I open the door quietly, peeping in. Jo was fast asleep. Good..
**Crash**
That definitely wasnt music. I tiptoe back to my room, grabbing my gun from the bedside drawer. Listening quietly. I grab my phone and speed dial Ameer's number. He answers on the first ring.
"Someone just broke in, Ameer" I whisper.
"Stay where you are, I am coming"
I punch in the wrong alarm code from my room and in a second, the alarm was blaring.
**Scream**
Shit Joie.
Oh my God.
I dont even know how long I was rooted at the spot till I heard him.
"Kwaise!! Kwaise!! Kwaise!!"
"Ameer!", I stash my gun and run straight to the guest room.
There she was, filleted and gut like she was nothing. Brayden kneeling, blood, Joie's blood all over him with his hands behind his head and a bloody machete on the ground. One of the cops had a gun trained on him.
What the hell was going on?
"All clear" the radio squawked.
I lose balance, I start to fall but His hands were around me before I reach the ground.
There I was, on the way back to police HQ. For the second time today.
I was numb.
The buzz around me was a blur.
The story, like a movie.
Brayden and Shireen were part of The Vipers, a notorious gang known for the production and distribution of a deadly drug called Venom. It basically heroine, meth and ecstasy with a drop of pure snake venom. Prince Kaseem owed money to their boss, Krait for 50 kilos of Venom.. I am guessing Krait is the pimp wannabe. I have heard about him, He was Lucifer's bunk mate. Pure evil. The man who is known for killing anyone who crosses him, with snake venom.
I saw a flash of something in his eyes but as it appeared, it disappeared almost instantly.
"We are taking you into protective custody Kwaise", Ameer says, offering me his hand.
"I cant risk it anymore".
Doesn't he mean they?