CHAPTER 20 - YINNO (Part 2)

Halfway through the fifth day after their departure from the Commandery they came upon a group of riders.

'Nomads,' Olle said. 'A hunting party, apparently.'

'Really, my lord Duke?' Ghyll said, seeing several of the men had the carcasses of small gazelles thrown over the rear of their horses.'

'Absolutely, Royal Highness,' Olle replied with a straight face.

The two groups halted at some distance from each other. One of the nomads lifted his hunting spear and shouted something Ghyll didn't understand. Zino replied in the same language, and the man brought a hand to his heart and bowed.

'You know their speech?' Ghyll asked in surprise. 'What did he say?'

'He wanted to know if we came for battle or for hunting. I said we were passing through and that we appealed to their hospitality.'

'Apparently that was the right answer. What language do they speak?'

'A corrupted form of the Old Abarranese tongue, I know more or less what they're saying, but don't expect miracles.'

'That you understand it is wonderful enough, Zino,' Ghyll said.

'I taught myself. Our library at home contains many books and writings from before the Dead Centuries and I wanted to read them.'

The nomad waited politely until the prince had finished and then laid a hand on his chest. 'Kayauchi.'

Zino gestured at Ghyll and said, 'Ghyllander, miannoo tso-wain Rhidauna.'

The nomads raised a wailing cry, covered their faces with their hands and then raised them in the direction of the sun.

'That is an expression of respect,' Zino said. 'I said you are the chief of chiefs of Rhidauna; they don't know the title of king. They showed that your light blinds them as does that of the sun.'

'See,' Ghyll said. 'Even foreigners admit it.'

'Oh yes,' Kerianna whispered mockingly. 'You are dazzling, dear.'

Ghyll glanced at her, but she smiled sweetly.

'The speaker is called Kayauchi,' Zino translated. 'As far as I understand, he is the nephew and successor of the chief of the Yinno. That makes him a sort of prince.'

Ghyll put his hand on his heart and bowed, at which the nomads smiled and clapped their hands,

'Was that all right?' Ghyll asked worriedly. Kayauchi said something and Zino nodded.

'A little too much honor for someone of his rank, but they didn't mind. This only enhances Kayauchi's status.'

The nomad prince pointed to the southwest. 'Yinno-chau,' he cried.

'There lies Camp Yinno. I think they want us to go with them.'

'Well, let him show the way.'

Kayauchi's smile widened and he turned his horse on its hind legs. With a sweep of his arm, he motioned them to follow him.

Yinno was, as one would expect from a nomadic tribe, a settlement of tents. It was erected on a height along a wide river, in a large circle around a kraal of longhaired cattle with a single large horn above their noses.

Kayauchi pointed and grinned at Ghyll. 'Zibul,' he said proudly.

They halted in front of a large round tent. A beaded curtain for the entrance kept the flies out and let fresh air inside.