Chapter Seven

At night in the academy everything is calm. The only sounds you hear is the wind whistling against the large glass windows towards the front. Clove has stationed herself by the knives, feet behind the white line as her eyes narrow at the targets from across the gym. If it was completely silent in here, you'd hear her heartbeat hammer against her chest.

Her thoughts cloud her; especially the ones about her father talking about the games. The promise she told her dad she'd keep is the only promise she cannot fulfil and it haunts her every time a blade strikes a targets heart. In fact, it made the sound of them even more palpable.

Even though her father's tone was pleading she knew she would volunteer. Not out of retaliation, but purely out of the gratification she would feel returning home. The fact that for once, her father would see what it looks like to be a winner and a fighter.

A victor, truly.

This time her knife struck the heart dead-on. The thud was almost as loud as her heartbeat until she heard footsteps behind her. She already knew who it was and she wasn't prepared to face him. At least not right now; so filled with emotion.

"Do you ever miss?" he questioned, eyes trained on the target.

She wearily turned to face him and he noticed, "No."

Cato hums, "Maybe if you had accepted my card to train here you wouldn't-"

"What do you want?" Clove interrupted, her eyes now narrowed at the blonde.

He pressed his lips together and stepped towards her, "Nothing."

"Then why are you here?"

"Because I knew you would be."

This took Clove by surprise, but she made no reassurance on her face. Cato slid by her and grabbed a knife slowly, glancing at the girl before aiming at a target. Clove watched him as his arm rose to throw. His movement is choppy, but not nearly as poor as the first time she had seen him throw. This time the knife doesn't miss. Instead, it hits the targets lower abdomen.

Clove purses her lips, "You've been practising."

Cato looks at the girl and simply nods as he raises a second knife which strikes the shoulder.

"That was rough," he chuckles, looking at Clove again. He stops chuckling when he notices the girls gaze.

It's not as intense as the past gazes.

No, this was a different gaze. An admirable gaze.

"It was good," she finally speaks.

"Was that a compliment, Rivers?"

"Hardly a decent one, Blondie."

The two of them just stood there in silence before Clove broke it, "How did you know I'd be here?"

Cato stared at her for a moment. He knew this question would arise eventually, "I didn't."

"Then why did you come here?"

Once again, Cato hesitated before answering, "I've been staying way later every day since I first saw you here, but you haven't been here in a while. I guess I just got lucky."

"Why do you wait?" Clove's voice was curious, her aggressive demeanour was replaced with a more sincere look.

"I've been meaning to ask you about this," his hands gesture around the gym.

"What about it?"

"Why do you train if you don't plan on going into the games?"

The question caught her off guard. He knew she wanted to go into the games, so the question was merely a loop-hole in getting her to open up. Clove remained quiet. Unsure about confessing the truth, she grabbed a knife. Taking aim at the target Cato had struck earlier, she released the knife and in a quick fierce motion, it landed in the skull.

"Impressive display, but you didn't answer my question."

Clove cocked her head to look at the shaggy-haired blonde. She noticed the small faint scar on his cheek from their encounter in the academy only days ago. The memory made her stomach turn, especially remembering the way he looked at her.

Like a piece of meat.

"Clove," Cato snapped his fingers in her face and she blinked.

"I train because I can."

"Yeah, but you do it in secret."

"So?"

"So, your skills are way too impressive to hide from the trainers. Let alone the entire district." Cato took another step toward her.

Clove took a step back, crossing her arms, "Why are you telling me this?"

Cato blinked at her, but decided to be honest, "I think it's hot."

She made a disgusted sound then rolled her eyes away from the boy, "Get the fuck out of here and let me train, Cato."

He held up his hands and waved them around, "Okay, okay. Bad word choice I know. I hardly ever say this to anyone, but you are incredibly talented."

"Coming from you I'm not that flattered so get the fuck out of here before I make you." Clove stepped towards Cato, who didn't even flinch. In fact, he was intrigued, taking a step towards her.

But Clove was having none of it. Raising her fist, he quickly blocked the punch and lifted the girl by her waist with ease. She grasped his wrists and tried forcing them off her, but he didn't budge. This time he gripped hold of her wrists and let her down gently, "You should make sure that the next time you swing at me, you catch me off guard."

Clove fought to shake her wrists away, but still, she was unable to free herself,

"Let go of me." she snarled at the boy.

His face lowered close to hers and he hummed, watching her eyes looking anywhere but at his was amusing. Clove knew he was toying with her, even though his touches and stares didn't make her nervous in the way he had hoped they would. She was only consumed with more anger.

"Or what?" Cato smirked at her, licking his lips as she met his eyes.

"Or I'll cut your hands off with the sharpest knife I own."

"Ouch," Cato obliged and freed the small girl, "going rogue are we?"

Clove rubbed at her wrists, "Get out, Cato."

Her voice was soft. Too soft. Cato looked at her face as she stared at her sore wrists. The strands of black hair slowly covering her green eyes as she now looked up at him. This time he was the one with the admirable gaze, but instead of getting another rise out of her, he simply nodded and head towards the exit.

Before Cato could walk any farther, Clove spoke, "Do you still have the card?"

Cato turned to look at her, "I do."

"Tomorrow. I'll be there."

Had he heard her correctly?

"What?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"At the academy. I will be there. Will you?"

He nodded.

"Good," she returned the gesture, "then I will see you at school and the academy."

"Yeah," he sounded breathless, "see you.. Rivers."

Clove's mouth twitched, in what he thought was a smile, but he knew better than to believe that so he kept on his way until the wind he once heard howling against the glass, was blowing against his face instead.