Chapter Nine

"Gloss is the male victor from District One from the 63rd Hunger Games. He is extremely talented with knives, alongside his sister Cashmere; who took home the crown of the 64th games." I glance around the classroom, "He's reported to help train the students in District One and is usually a mentor for the games as well. Unlike the other male victors, Gloss has shared his earnings with the capital and has even donated some to the districts academy."

"He started training at the age of 12, much like us. Gloss says, 'A person who believes a knife is just a tool for cutting, die wishing they had thrown it.' and still tells that to this day." I lower my paper and look at our teacher, who has made himself a home in an empty desk towards the back of the room, "That's all I got."

Mr.Kent nods and the class erupts into a small applause as I make my way back to my desk. He then calls up Cato, who's next to present. Cato rises from his desk in a sluggish manner then walks towards the front, holding his paper. He glances at me before looking at his paper, "Enoboria."

I squirm in my seat at her name.

"Enoboria," Cato says again, "was the female victor of the 62nd games. She took home the crown after putting on quite a show for the capital after the death of her district partner, Elijah."

Knots form in my stomach. Even though my cousin and I weren't close, discussing the games in which he died makes my skin crawl. It's like we can never allow the dead to rest.

"After the games, she became a mentor and has continued to be a mentor since. She's incredibly talented in swords, spears, and knives. Not to mention, her gold in-lined teeth make her an easy showstopper." Cato lowers his paper for a brief moment to flash a smirk at the crowd. I hear Mr Kent chuckle, then Cato continues with his presentation which carries on for another ten minutes. He even prepared a slide show-- the kid really wanted the A.

At the end of class, I'm quick to grab my things, rushing to the door before Cato attempts to talk to me. But I'm shit out of luck when I hear my name leave his mouth. When I turn to face him, his expression is stone cold.

"You haven't been back at the academy in a while. Why?" he asks, stepping to the side to let a girl walk by.

"Busy."

"Bullshit, Rivers."

"Why do you even give a shit?" I narrow my eyes at him, "You basically made it seem like you never wanted me there ever again. So.. your wish was granted."

"Rowan is the top girl and I know you want to volunteer." Cato crosses his arms and glances at the teacher, who sits at his desk.

I motion him to follow me out into the hallway, then look back at him once we're outside, "Rowan Hagg?"

"Yes, she's really talented. Have no doubt she'll be in the arena with-"

"If you say you my eyes will roll so hard they'll fall out of my head,"

"It will be me. Stop pretending like it won't." Cato rolls his eyes, and I just shake my head.

"Why are you telling me this?"

Cato stays quiet for a moment, "Like I said, I know you want to volunteer and as annoying as you are, you're talented and strong-willed. You deserve to volunteer just as much as the next guy, but you have to prove that you're capable of doing that."

"And how do I do that?"

"Come to training today. We're working on hand-to-hand. If you can fight me, you can fight her."

"Her as in, Rowan?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah," Cato nods, "If you win, it'll ruin her reputation and less her chances of-"