Chapter 28- Walking alone tonight

"Hey, Mandy. It's closing time. You're not gonna go yet?" Dan called out as he opened the door.

"Don't worry! I'm just gonna close up here." I answered cheerfully.

"Okay. Bye!" Dan opened the door and went home.

"Bye." I waved a little.

I couldn't go home yet. Adam told me that he'd pick me up.

I looked at my watch. 7:00. I'm not being demanding but, our actual closing time is actually 5:00. I didn't want to tell Adam because he might get pressured.

Suddenly, my phone rang. I checked to see that the caller was Adam, so I picked it up.

"Hey." he spoke that sweet and soft voice of his. It was hard to understand him though because the background was very noisy. Like people chattering and glasses tingling. Where is he?

Wait. Stop. Don't be overprotective and obsessive.

" Hi." I smiled.

"Uhh.... Mandy... I..." Adam said hesitantly.

"You what?" I raised an eyebrow. Just speak it out, for Pete's sake.

"I'm sorry but... I can't pick you up tonight." he said in an apologetic manner.

I couldn't speak. I felt disappointed and sad. I was really hoping on seeing him so badly. It was like I was hoping that we'd have more time on each other because being with him last night felt like it wasn't enough. Like I wanted more.

"I'm so sorry, Mandy." he pleaded. "My manager wouldn't let go of me. He said he had some people he needed me to meet. And I ,necessarily, should be there." he reasoned out. But I felt like I wasn't hearing him.

That's what we girls do.

You can say all the reasons you want and we wouldn't even hear a thing. Sad, isn't it?

"Mandy? You still there?" he asked and I realized I haven't said a word.

Say something. Be supportive.

Don't pressure him. He has a life outside of you too, ya know?

I followed the voice inside my head and gave a full smile, even though he can't see it.

"Um.. Yeah!" I pretended to be happy. "It's alright. Go do your thing. I'm just closing up shop, anyway." I smiled.

"Are you sure?" he spoke on the phone with much sincerity.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." I said softly.

"Okay..." Adam spoke sadly. "I love you..."

His voice when he says those words....

I ain't even mad.

His charm just instantly hypnotizes me, even if it's on the phone.

"I love you too." I grinned, my heart tightening.

There was a silence before he muttered one last "Bye."

Then there was just the sound of a click, followed by silence.

I went out and closed the shop with the key that Mrs. Dixon gave me months ago. She said that she trusted me enough as her own daughter and I deserved a key as a symbol of appreciation of her trust on me.

Then I started to walk down the sidewalk.

Guess I'm walking alone tonight.

No, I shouldn't be so dramatic. I can't be with him 24/7. I'm not the only person who wants him. He's a famous singer. I'm the one who decided to agree on going out with him. I should be understanding.

But...

I still miss him....