29: DARKFIRE

Meela rocketed at breakneck speeds through the dark waters of the Underverse. Directed by Layla, Rudjrik steered the sub across vast underwater plains, through submarine, fungal forests and between majestic, rocky mountains. Thalleron, eyes closed, stood over the glowing power core, his pulse talon streaming extra energy into it. The hull glowed more brightly than usual, suitable for the Starglow class name. With the trail of golden bubbles in her wake, the vessel resembled a fiery meteor streaking through the darkness.

In the medbay, Zephyrle was conscious, but weak, and struggling to stay awake. She was pale, and indigo veins were spreading over her body. Jaewyn stood by her bed, her hand clasped around her friend's.

"How're you feeling? You know those veins match your eyes?"

"Jae," Zephyrle laughed weakly. "My eyes are violet...but I'm ok...it just feels...like I wanna sleep...kay, so I need you to know...if I don't make it..."

"Don't say that, of course you're going to make it..."

"Jae, tell Aefion...tell him..."

"Enough of that talk Zeph, you can tell him yourself. We're on the way to your cure. All we need to do is inject you with the chemicals from another creature, and then something will happen you might not understand. But trust me. It'll fix you. Everything will work out. Oh yeah, and we'll need to take your clothes off."

"What? Another creature?"

"Yeah, its a bit gross, it'll be fine. It won't harm you."

"Thrilling, I can't wait." Zeph closed her eyes. "I'm just gonna...get some sleep..."

"Zeph, you should stay awake. Zeph?"

Zephyrle didn't respond. She was still breathing, but it was slow. The indigo veins pulsated, gently.

"Come on Zeph, you can't die on me." Jaewyn gritted her teeth and squeezed Zeph's hand. "You know why? Because you are just so very stylish. You are too stylish to die, you hear me? You might be a thief, and a sprite, and a troublesome little rascal, but I love you, so if you go and ascend I'm going into the spiritscape and dragging you back, ok? In fact, you won't even be allowed in because someone will just say sorry girl. Just head straight back to Belanyr. You're just too stylish. So you hang on in there, and soon we'll have you back to your stylish self."

Cursing inwardly, Jaewyn made sure Zephyrle was comfortable, then raced up to the bridge. Layla was sitting in the co-pilot's chair, her hands wrapped around her body.

"What's the sitch? How far now?" Jaewyn put a hand on the amazon's shoulder. "You cold?"

"Just a bit. But it's fine, I'll deal."

"Just pullin' into the cavern now," Rudjrik confirmed.

Meela burst burst through the surface in a spray of bubbles and water like a golden dolphin springing from the deep. Through the viewing dome Jaewyn could see the rocky ceiling of the cavern, studded with stalactites. Many of them swarmed with glowing, white worms. She took a deep breath.

"Alright, this is it. Rudjrik, make sure Meela is ready to go. Layla, go get Thalleron, I'll grab Zeph. Let's get this done, people."

The ground beneath their boots was green moss, soft and spongy, suitable for glow-worm larvae to wriggle around on. And suitable for their victims to wriggle around on after they'd been latched onto, Jaewyn thought. Hopefully it wouldn't cause any long term damage...but she trusted Thalleron. He seemed like he knew his stuff. She, Thalleron and Layla gathered to strategize. Jaewyn had her arm around Zephyrle's waist, supporting her.