Anthony Newman

BASED ON A REAL LIVE EVENT

"I'll support you through thick and thin"

Anthony POV

It's hard out there for someone like me to fit in. I'm gay. There, I've said it. So what are you going to do? Beat me up? Flush my head into the toilet bowl? Threaten my parents? Good job man, you just repeated what everyone had done to me.

A little backstory; I had tons of friends. We were in the school's choir and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Then, I started to notice this person. He was rather popular among my ensemble. Richard is his name. I've hung out with him and we even like the same type of music and books. But one day, we were watching a movie together and I can't help but to touch his hand. He looked at me and smiled. Soon enough, our hands were intertwined throughout the entire movie. He took me to his house later.

"It's just an experiment," he whispered. I nodded as he began to kiss me. I allowed him to lift my shirt up as we began our evening of lust. I was in love. I've decided that my choice was right. I wanted to be gay.

***

"Thank you Father," I said as I left the chapel. My parents have been sending me to church ever since they've figured out I was gay. You see, my family are Christians and being the oldest, I'll have to be a good role model to my younger siblings. They thought that by sending me for regular prayers and counselling , I could become a 'normal' teenager.

My family moved to New York once they found out I was gay. They made me get rid of my phone so I wouldn't have any contacts with Richard. We broke up but we still managed to keep in touch. Don't worry it was a good eight months and we're still friends.

"Hey faggot!" I turned to the direction and saw Kevin and his goons. Hey guys, that's my bullies. You know your stereotypical movie bullies. He walked up right in front of my face. And guess what? They've been waiting outside of my church to beat me up. It's okay, it's an annual thing.

"How was your counselling idiot?" Kevin said.

"Am I a faggot or an idiot? Make up your mind." Before I knew it, I was yanked from my spot.

"You think you're so tough? Your just a rainbow covered dude who opens his ass for everybody who wants a quick shove in. Listen, you're irrelevant. Gay people are useless."

At that moment, a fist flew towards Kevin's face. I stumbled onto the floor. Kevin looked at his attack.

"Di Angelo, I thought you were dead," he said.

"Death always finds a way," the attacker replied. Kevin's goons charged at him but the Di Angelo kid was just like Mister Miyagi from the Karate Kid. One by one, they fall to the ground. I can't help but watch in astonishment.

"Let's go guys!" Kevin ran away.

***

Nico Di Angelo is his name. After the attack, he took me to a nearby Starbucks. He introduced himself and we got along quite well. We ordered our drinks and sat at a quiet corner of the cafe.

"So what's the deal with you? Why are they targeting you?" He asked.

"Ever since I've become gay I was worried for my well-being. My boyfriend convinced me it would be alright. However, it was the opposite. We broke up cause of my parents and we moved here from Ohio. Goode apparently doesn't like gay people. Especially Kevin. Everyday, I fear for myself to the point where I thought about suicide but my parents never gave a thought and just sent me for counselling. None of them cares. My Priest, counselor and even my parents. All they want for me is to be a 'normal' person," I poured out. I began to sob lightly.

Nico moved to sit beside me. He pat my shoulder.

"Listen, I was once confused with my sexuality. I was gay for someone who cared for me so much. He has a girlfriend but I moved on and found someone even better. I just want to let you know that there are people just like you. We're a community. We'll help each other out. Goode may not have the support but I do. And I'll support you through thick and thin."Nico got up from his seat.

"Listen, I have to bounce. Here's my number, call me if Kevin gives you any problems afterwards. You can join me at the cafeteria on Monday. We can have lunch together along with another friend of mine Percy Jackson." My eyes widened.

"Wait Percy is your friend? How come I've never seen you around with him?" I asked.

"I got into a fight with Kevin and his goons. One of his friend knocked me out with a metal rod and I was in a coma for three months. Three months of my life was wasted cause of him. You can clearly see why I despise him." He walked out of the cafe leaving me alone at the table. That was day one of a new beginning. I'm going to change. Not my sexuality, but my will to live. I'm gay and I'm proud.

END

A/N: What you have just read was a dramatized version of a real life event. The fight and sex scene were added for effect. The name calling all real. Thankfully, no blood was spilled. The Starbucks scene was what really happened. I played Nico. No I'm not gay, I just added it for the sake of plot. But my friend was. Yes, he's doing all right and gave permission for me to write this. All names were replaced in this story.