One

A/N 

Hello readers, book lovers and writers! Here you have my first story on this account and I hope you will enjoy it. I am going to be updating once a week unless I forget or get sucked into a black hole. Don't forget to vote, comment and smile!

// emeliezeta

People believe. Some believe in ghosts. Others believe in God. A few believe in magic. Another believe in tooth fairies.

But I know. I know things others don't. I see things others can't see. I find things others aren't able to find.

I hunt. They protect. I hate. They love. I know. They don't.

People are blind to what's right in front of them and if they could see it they wouldn't understand what danger they are in, what has been roaming our woods for ages. What doesn't belong here - Magic.

I'm Ginger. I'm a normal 16 year old girl. Well, most people wouldn't call me normal. People think I'm weird- crazy even. I see ghosts, I know magic exist, and I know where they are hidden.  

***

Loud noises from the traffic outside my window woke me up this special morning in June. The light from the morning sun streamed into my room and chased away the shadows of the night. I sat up in my bed and yawned widely. Mornings and I just didn't seem to agree with each other.

"Ginger!" I heard my father call out from the kitchen.

"I'm coming!" I replied and walked up to the mirror that hung on the wall. My brown hair was a mess and my mascara (which I had forgotten to wipe off the day before) was smeared all around my green eyes. It wasn't pretty. I tried to clean it up with my fingertips before I made my way to the kitchen.

"You look terrible." Father muttered as I entered.

"I didn't get much sleep." I sighed.

"Well, I need help today. Our team has seen a group of elves outside the territory." He explained as I grabbed a bowl and some cereal.

"And they can't just ask them to go back?" I sighed.

"They have weapons, honey." My father told me and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay. I'll come with you. Some elves haven't been much of a challenge before." I stuffed my mouth full.

"That's my girl." He smiled.

I had taken a shower and made myself ready to go an hour later. Father told me that he was done as well and I grabbed my blue hoodie and put on my black sneakers. Father handed me a bow and arrows and I went and picked up my dagger. It was a silver dagger with small emerald stones in the handle. Like the moon reflects the sun, as will our love reflect in your eyes was engravedin the sharp blade. The dagger was a gift from my mother on my seventh birthday. She died the same year and the dagger is the most important thing I own.

I swiftly put the dagger in my boot before following my father out of the apartment and down the stairs to the ground floor. We got into his dark green car and we were on our way. The ride went smoothly at first until we came closer to the forest where the roads were more bumpy. When the engine stopped growling, the car was stood outside the metal fence that had been built up at the edge of the woods. The magnificent trees reached up to the clear blue sky at the other side, and I couldn't help but think it was beautiful. Dad had me hurry up and I got my bow out of the back of the car along with the arrows. He made sure the car was locked before we made our way away from the fence and across the road to the other side of the forest. I was a bit nervous this time, dad would often bring me out with him to make sure no one crossed the bounadrie, but this time was different. This time the elves had already broken out and we would have to bring them back in peace unless they decided to put up a fight. The elves didn't like our laws, they wanted to be in power, they wanted magic to spread across the land, but we couldn't let that happen. That's why the world needs people like me and my father, to keep everything under control. There is enough evil in this world, and if we would let magic make its path into our lives, more evil will escape and fill us all up with its dark shadows.

We suddenly heard a couple of twigs break and spun around to see a group of six elves by the oak trees five meters away. Four of them were carrying weapons, three with bow and arrow and one with a long golden sword. My father slowly moved towards them, carrying his gun confidently while pointing it at the elves. 

"We mean no harm!" He shouted. "But I will fire this gun unless you retreat to your home! You are outside the territory and you know that. So I'm asking you now to move back to your side of this forest."

They didn't move as much as their little finger and as my father came closer the elves pointed their arrows at him, holding their bows perfectly still but ready to release and watch the sharp edge of an arrow pierce through my father. But no one showed a sign of fear, and neither did I because I wasn't afraid. I was also prepared to fire my bow, directing it towards the elf that looked the most dangerous. 

"I said to go back to your territory!" My father roared and I noticed one of the six elves giving the others some sort of signal. In less than a second a violent fight broke out between the elves, my father and myself. 

I dodged the arrows that came my way and watched my own shoot through the air and hit the elves. My father fired his gun and the bullets hit two of the elves in the stomach. He injured the third one badly by placing a bullet in her thigh. I smiled to myself as one of my arrows hit one of the elves in the chest. A second later I saw that the female with the sword was about to slit my father's throat and in panic I shot an arrow towards her, watching it get planted deeply into her back. She fell to the ground with the other four.  I smiled triumphantly at my dad but his face was blank as his legs folded underneath him. That's when I noticed the huge amount of blood pouring from his shoulder and I ran towards him.

"Ginger, behind you!" He suddenly shouted and I spun round with an arrow ready. Before I had the chance to even realise the danger, the world started spinning and everything turned black as I collapsed on the ground.