Chapter 1: The Inventions and the Scientists

Chapter One:

The time is 1300 F.A., approximately 235 million years after the discovery of the computer chip, and about 200 million after humans left Earth’s solar system. No one is sure whether or not the choice was voluntary at the time, but Earth became a wasteland around the same time of our departure. If not for the carefully preserved records saved from computer databases and the books and pictures, the idea that Earth was once the most beautiful and lush planet of the entire galaxy, if not universe, would have been brushed off as ludicrous. As it is, no one really knows what drove the beginning of Earth’s destruction, but there are definite records that point to a terrific spike in scientific activity in the years following the Second Exodus. Historians debate on the reasons behind the sudden jump, but most agree that it’s linked directly to the many problems that plagued humankind during their last years on Earth.

And there is definite evidence for that theory.

Sixteen years after being driven off of Earth and onto Mars, a scientist named Eunice Tan, discovered how to obtain massive amounts of energy from vacuums. Two years later, a pair of eighteen year old students figured out how to harness the energy, one of which later became the Father of Energy Efficiency, better known as Dr. Samuel He. This effectively solved the energy crisis that followed humans from Earth. Two decades later, the theory of teleportation became reality; its discovery driven mostly by a stupid competition between two siblings that started and ended with a massive prank war. They say the brother, Dr. Frank Zhang won, and in retaliation, his sister, who was fiddling around in her basement, put together a primitive contraption that managed to teleport and dump a bucket of ice cold water on Dr. Zhang’s head. By the time their youngest brother earned his Ph.D, his older siblings had already figured out the logistics of transporting humans in similar fashion. This, coupled with the concept of energy efficiency, made human transportation both extremely fast and extremely green.

Levitation came about only a year after teleportation became widely used when Dr. Samuel Zhang decided to further research a discovery he’d made years before. Busy running away from Frank in an effort to avoid becoming entangled in the war, he’d knocked on of the samples of metal inside of the ice water in his lab. After he’d come back, he realised that the metal had become supercooled; determined to find out why, he ended up experimenting on 8,937 samples from his collection and broke the molecular code on why some metals became supercooled more easily than others. The result was a room temperature super magnet and advanced prank weaponry beyond what even the government had. Needless to say, the prank war and any lingering commercial use for cars ended.

However, his discoveries would remain in the dark until years later since no one believed him. His siblings’ confirmations didn’t do much either, considering one was thought to be borderline insane and the other was an eccentric no one really understood. The only reason teleportation was accepted so quickly was because his sister happened to work for the government. And an official caught her by surprise and was teleported (by accident) into another official’s swimming pool, where she hid a different teleportation device. But there was no such luck with this discovery and as a result, levitation remained a theory until Dr. Samuel agreed to a partnership with Researcher Megan Ja and their laboratory was discovered floating some hundreds of feet off the ground with both Dr. Zhangs attempting to learn how to fly. It didn’t turn out so well. But the results of that incident unveiled levitation and revolutionized the world with the beginnings of another category of human flight, one that wasn’t so noisy nor so demanding.

Six years after the Zhang Flying Incident, their sister, Angela Zhang, along with a famous inventor named Christine Young created the first functioning human wings. These were rapidly improved upon by the government as planes were no longer a feasible option and being able to fly eliminated the time needed to walk over the surface of Mars in order to document its geography. By the time the wings made its way into the public, they became incredibly popular, and a new industry specifically for wings was created.

Meanwhile, although the teleportation devices were exceedingly useful, it would be extremely costly to set up receiving devices on every bit of the planet’s surface, thus, super cooled magnets are essential to life due to the fact that it allows humans to go to places without a teleportation receiver. A few million years later, when humans decided the solar system wasn’t enough, Carl S. Jr discovered how to mass produce antimatter, and now, an entire planet runs off of a single antimatter formulating plant. The ancient rule that a planet needs water and perfect sun placement to sustain life is history, and overall, the galaxy is now under human control. Of course, there are still planets that resist the wonders this day’s technology brings, like Mars, but that’s beyond the point. To put it simply, we have obtained wonders only dreamed of before, and even immortality has been achieved after a few hundreds of thousands of years of research and experimentation. Now, the poor are those that still can live in mansions, while the rich are those with the latest technology, like the before mentioned immortality. Human civilization had finally reached it’s limits, but it’s still continuing to break through.