9

Like I said, we played a few games here and there. This was one of the bigger games now, the ones where every move counts, every choice matters. A single mistake or slip up could lead to a big consequence.

First half went well. We are still tied 1-1.
Adam and I are exhausted, and when we come off the field I fall to my knees.

"You okay?" Elliot asks from the bench.

"Fine." I snap

"Stretch." He says quietly. Then he stands up and goes off to do whatever he does.

Adam drops next to me, his face beet red and his muscles bulging.

"Don't push yourself too much. You'll get hurt." I observe with heavy breaths.

"I'll be fine." He wheezes.

"Maybe sit out for a while."

"No" he growls, then stands up and wobbles away. I know he wouldn't quit. Not now. Not when this is our game. Our future.

Second half came: this time, Elliot on the field with us. The whistle blew. He flew by, and he always handed the ball off to me or Adam, sometimes letting our defense hold it in order to let us catch our breath. We had to make a play though, I could sense the offense pressuring us more and more. The ball rolled to me, and I took it up, faking a player and giving it to Elliot. Elliot flew by two other guys, easily having an open shot.
"Elliot!" Adam yells.
Without any hesitation Elliot kicks it to Adam, and for once Adam couldn't hit it, it bounced off his foot weirdly, and it veered off past the goal. The other team got a goal kick. We lost possession. We lost our chance.
The game ended soon after, the score remaining 1-1.

It was okay, we still had a chance of winning states, but I was pissed that we didn't win for the scouts out there.

Adam looked like he was about to punch somebody, and when Elliot shuffled by the team nobody said a word to him. Not that we ever did, but there was tension, something that separated him from everyone else even more.

The bus ride back was quiet. Adam fell asleep again. I didn't check to see if Elliot was too.
When we all walked back to the parking lot at school I didn't say anything to Elliot, instead I started my car and drove back home, and in the review mirror you could see a figure walking down the street.

—————

Another month goes by. Games pass. We won third in states, and our school won a trophy.
It's not until a few days after when I receive a call. I pick up the phone from the kitchen, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my other hand.

"Hello?" I ask

"Is this Issac Silverman?" A voice asks

"Yes."

"Congratulations. We would like you to attend University of Pennsylvania. Our administration is offering you a full scholarship if you play in our Division I soccer team."

I almost choke on my sandwich, and for once I can't hear anything.

"Hello?"

"Oh. Um. Yes. Thank you, thank you so much!" I say quickly.

"Yes. Well, we will email you some papers and your parent or guardian will need to fill out some forms. We shall keep in touch, we would like to have a meeting when the year is starting to end. We hope that you will attend University of Pennsylvania. Goodbye."

"Bye." I say almost to myself. I put the phone back into the cradle. A laugh escapes me, a small one, but more follow quickly after, and then I'm full blown out laughing. I made it. I did it. It's all over for now.