Challenge 2: Peace

Peace

We all want "peace," but peace is elusive, and what exactly is the peace we yearn for? Peace can mean physical safety or absence of dissension. It can mean harmony or tranquility. Who would not like to live in perfect peace?

Jesus told His disciples that He would be leaving them but not to worry. The Holy Spirit would be with them, teach them all things, and He would leave them with Peace. But then He said something very interesting. He explained that the Peace He would leave them is different than the peace the world offers. (John 14:27)

So what is the Peace that Jesus offers? How is it different than the peace of the world?

The Peace that Jesus offers can be summed up by the Fruits of the Spirit that the Apostle Paul talks about in the Book of Galatians, Chapter 5: love, joy, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

This Peace is a deep abiding peace between our hearts and our Creator that cannot be taken away. This Peace is the source for the fruits. Jesus followed up His announcement of leaving His Peace with the encouragement to not let our hearts be troubled or afraid. (John 14:27)

The peace the world offers is dependent on our circumstances or feelings. It is often temporary and fleeting. It ultimately fails.

Jesus told us that in the world we would have trials and tribulation. (John 16:33) The good news is we can have the Peace Jesus promised and the Holy Spirit who teaches us all things. The Apostle Paul reminds us to be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving to let our requests be made to God so His Peace which surpasses all understanding will guard our hearts and minds through Jesus Christ! (Philippians 4:6, 7)

***

Today's challenge is to write down your worries and burdens. Pray over them with thanksgiving and then give them to the Prince of Peace.

Allow His Peace to comfort and encourage you. Keep your eyes on Him and not your circumstances. Can you share a time when you relied on the Peace of Jesus? How do you distinguish between the peace the world offers and His Peace?