My Medieval Romance

Thank you so much for reading my story! This is my first story so please feel free to post respectful critisism. Please vote, comment, everything! Thank you!!!!! Read on ------->

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Characters:

Victoria of Lyham

Alex Marvin of Lyham

Sir Edward (Sub Character)

Lady Annabelle: Duchess of Lyham

Chapter 1

The sun crept through the little window in my bedroom, hitting me in the face. I swiftly got out of my straw bed and gave a big yawn. It is March 26th. Exactly one week until my 19th birthday and until my father comes to visit! My father is on the king’s council so he lives at the castle. I live with my elderly grandmother. My own mother died when I was very young and my father didn’t think it was suitable for me to live at the castle at such a young age so he left me with my grandmother. It’s not so bad but I have to do all of the housework because my grandmother is unable to anymore.

            I put on my everyday gown and made my way out of the house down to the market. It was quiet as I walked down the road with the occasional early bird chirping.  Eventually, the busy noises of the market began to meet my ears as I walked down the steep, dusty road. Saying hello to passer-by’s, I made my rounds getting all of the necessary provisions for the week. I also sold a few shawls that my grandmother had made in her spare time. Soon I was ready to head back home. That is until a Sir Edward found his way over to me. Edward was the village blacksmith and he had convinced himself a while back that I was somehow madly in love with him. He always tries to get something out of me but I’m stubborn.

“Hello Lady Victoria.” He gave me a deep bow and what he thought was a seductive smile.

 “Hello Sir Edward. I’m terribly sorry but I’m afraid I was just leaving. I must go home and check on my grandmother.” I gave him a quick smile and meant to start walking up the hill again but he grabbed my wrist.

“I don’t think so. Not until I get a proper kiss.” He said leaning forward and puckering his lips.

I pulled my hand out of his strong grip and started back up the hill.

“You’ll never get a kiss out of me Edward!” I called back down the hill where I’m sure he was standing in defeat.

            In a matter of minutes, I was back at my house preparing breakfast for my grandmother and myself. I set the small, circular table and laid out all of the food and then helped my grandmother to the table. I am starting to worry; she doesn’t eat much and she is getting rather scrawny looking. “Grandmother, are you feeling alright?”

“Yes, just a tired.” She replied promptly in her equally scrawny voice.

We ate in silence and soon enough, we were all finished and I was cleaning up again. Grandmother went back to sleep as I started to clean the house like I did every year upon my father’s arrival.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~**~~*~*~*

            The day was almost over and I had cleaned our small living space in no time at all with a lunch break in between for my grandmother and me. I peeked through a window and noticed that we only had one chicken left and it’s used for eggs. I let out a sigh and settled on making corn and potato stew. I peeled the corn and potatoes and set them over the fire to brew. I strolled into my grandmother’s room to get her for dinner.