Chapter 7

Another chapter! Vote, comment, ect...

I woke up again in the early morning. Apparently my body couldn’t take any more sleep and it was yelling at me to get up.

            I changed for the day into something a little classier considering I was having tea with the queen and Alex’s cousin who happened to be the duchess of Lyham.  I brushed my hair and pulled half of it up, tying a bow around it for the last touch. I slipped out the door and went down to the royal dining quarters passing bustling servants preparing the castle for the Duke and Duchess’s arrival.  I stepped inside and found the king and queen already dining.

“Victoria, so nice to see you! Sit, sit!” The queen ushered.

I sat down and a plate was brought out to me.

“Thank you for inviting me.” I said to them.

“Oh, you are always welcome.” The queen said.

I simply nodded in return, folding my napkin in my lap.

            I looked to the king searching his face for sadness or hurt. It didn’t seem to be there so I took it as a good sign.

“Any word on Alex?” I asked him.

“Not yet I’m afraid, but that can be a good thing too. Let us hope that he returns safely soon.”

“Yes indeed.” I said in agreement.

The room suddenly felt stuffy so I excused myself and walked outside the big oak door that was the entrance to the castle. I leaned up against the big stone wall and let out a sigh of… frustration? Or was it me just wanting Alex back home?

 “Get a grip.” I whispered to myself.

            I was startled by the sound of the castle doors opening and I glanced to see who it was. The queen came and joined me on the wall with a huff. There was a moment of silence before she spoke kindly to me.

“You know Victoria; I feel the same way that you do every time Edgar or Alex goes off to fight. I’m feeling it right now. I sit and wonder whether or not I will see their shining faces again or if I’ll ever get to say I love you again… It’s hard but I know that you’ll get through it.” She took my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “I can assure you that Alex will come home in one piece.”

            I hadn’t realized that I was crying until a tear tickled the end of my nose. I let out a sob. “I just don’t know why I feel this way, or why I feel so concerned. I met him six days ago.” I let out a cry/laugh that made me choke on my words. I buried my head in my hands desperately.

Feeling the queen move away, I looked up to find her walking back inside. Before reaching the door she yelled, “You are in love! That’s why.”

Was I really? Was I really, truly, in love with the prince of Lyham? Did he actually love me back? It was all too much for me right now.