Chapter 3

Chapter 3

   “Lady Victoria” My mind drifted in and out of sleep while someone shook me.

“Ugmfgh.” I rolled over away from the person trying to wake me, desperately wanting them to leave me alone.

“Lady Victoria, it’s time to get up. All of your presents from last night have been brought up.” The voice of Amelia was immediately recognized in my head and I opened my eyes squinting from the bright light that was penetrating through my window that she had opened. She had a huge smile on her face and her hands were on her hips. Oh no.

“No more lessons!” I groaned, shielding my eyes from the light.

“There’re no lessons anymore my lady. You are free to do as you please. But it is time to arise this lovely morning.” She gave me a smile and walked out of the room humming some sort of tune.

“Thank goodness.” I sighed. I got out of bed to find gifts everywhere. Bags, boxes, ribbons, and bows everywhere! I’ll go through them later. I washed my face before slipping into a plain white dress. I pulled my hair into a simple braid and waltzed down to breakfast in a rather good mood.

            I had eggs and biscuits for breakfast with some freshly squeezed orange juice. I was getting more stares from the surrounding people in the mess hall but I simply ignored them all. After I was finished, I headed to the library and picked out a book before heading back to the tree I had laid underneath before across from the knight’s practice yards. I don’t know why I chose this spot again. Was it so I could watch the prince again? No, I liked this tree. It was comfortable and I enjoyed reading here. It had no connection with the Prince what so ever. I opened my book and began to read, self consciously sneaking a glance at the prince practicing every once and awhile. I wasn’t certain but I thought that he caught me staring one time and smiled but I could have been imagining it.

            I tried greatly to pay attention to what I was reading but I would realize that I had no idea what I was reading and would have to re-read the whole page again. Eventually the knight’s training session ended and they all went inside. I felt a twang of disappointment when the prince went inside. What? Did I really think that he would come over as soon as he was done just to see me?  I was crazy if I thought so.

            I tried to pay attention to my book and keep myself distracted. Eventually, I succeeded and got lost in my novel.

SNAP!!!

My heads jerked up to the sound of a twig snapping to see Alex holding a white bundle of something.

“Did I frighten you again?” He chuckled.

“No, not at all.” I gave him a peachy smile.

“Sure.” He retorted.

I laughed and he proceeded to sit down next to me.

“So, Lady Victoria, I was wondering if you would join me on a picnic.” He gestured to the white bundle and opened it to reveal some food.

I blushed lightly. “Sure, I would enjoy that.”

“Splendid, we could stay here or go somewhere else if you would prefer that.”

“Let’s just go a little deeper in the woods.” ‘Where nobody can bother us’ I added in my head.

“Alright.” He stood up, picnic basket in one hand, and helped me up with the other. When I was up, he took my book and laid it in the bundle then took my hand again.

            As we walked we were silent for a while but it wasn’t awkward. It was a comfortable silence. Finally, he spoke, startling me a bit.