V I I

DAYS PASSED without incident. Andorra was beginning to breathe easy again. Sure, people seemed to laugh at her in passing, but Andorra was pretty sure that was never going to stop. Not after her performance. For the most part, she had been ignoring the new boy, avoiding him at all costs.

She could feel him watching her, though. His attention felt sinister and dangerous. It wasn't like Kyle, when he was concerned or doting on her. No, this attention was something else entirely.

"So, can we try the cafeteria again?" Kyle was asking by her locker. "I know people have been sort of mean, but I think it'd be okay if we ate in there again. Especially with the new guy, people surely have moved on."

Andorra huddled by her locker. She eyed the cafeteria doors, then looked back to Kyle. He had a sort of hopeful smile on his face that made Andorra feel a little bit guilty about keeping him from his other friends.

She let out a long sigh. Maybe he was right. Maybe she should stop hiding. "Alright. I'll meet you in there, okay?"

Kyle lingered, but not for long. He sauntered his way into the cafeteria, catching sight of someone he knew. His easy banter lingered in the hall before he passed through the cafeteria doors. Andorra took a deep breath. She put her things away, shook out her shoulders, and told herself everything would be fine.

Standing outside of the cafeteria was the tall, pale boy. He looked comfortable in the hallway, as if he had been going to the school his entire life. Being the new kid didn't describe him, nor did it really make sense. He blended in perfectly, without an issue. His attention didn't waver to those who stopped to talk to him.

It was on her. His eyes, dark blue today, tracked her every movement through the hallway. Her chest felt tight, and nerves crowded her senses as she tried to think of another way into the cafeteria. Talking to him wasn't on her list of things to do.

When it was obvious she wasn't going to approach him, he walked up to her. When she looked up into his eyes, clutching her backpack straps tightly, she wondered why he seemed quiet, calm. The complete opposite of Kyle.

"You aren't feeling like your normal self, are you." His words were confident. "I heard about your hallway hallucination."

Andorra flinched. She stood a step away from him. "Leave me alone," she hissed.

He followed her a step. "You believe them, don't you?" He let out a sharp scoff. "You think you're crazy."

Andorra shook her head. Anger brushed over her chest. "Seriously, back off."

"You're not crazy, you know." His answer was confident, sure. Like he knew her. It unnerved her, making shivers race down her spine. She felt crowded, so she took another step back, but he followed her movements.

"You don't know anything about me." Her voice sounded nervous, and it wavered, showing how distressed she was.

The laugh that left his lips was surprising, only because it was obvious he didn't laugh often. "You don't know just how much I do know about you, Andorra."

His words shocked her and sent violent shivers down her spine. There was something distinctly off about him. She couldn't put her finger on it, or really figure out what it was about him that made her feel uneasy, but something was there.

"You were at that pond." She blurted out. It caused the boy to pause in front of her, surprise flashing over his expression at her words. "Why were you in my backyard? Better yet, what was that?"

"What pond?" His words sounded genuine. The way his eyes narrowed on her face, confusion leaking into his tone. "Your... backyard?"

"Yes. Before you got here Monday, you were in my backyard. On Friday!" Her voice was sounding a little too shrill, even to her own ears. Andorra tried to tame it back. "Are you stalking me?"