19 | Hailey

To: lincolnadams@gmail.com

Subject: gone

Elizabeth told me you broke things off with Chelsea last night right after you won the game. Apparently, it's the gossip of the day around school. She seemed pretty devastated when I saw her this morning in the halls. I stood there frozen with Elizabeth by my side. We watched Chelsea stop at your locker and look at you as if to beg you to take her back. You gave her the kindest eyes I have ever seen and apologized using the sweetest words. I could see the tears in your eyes as she shook her head and walked away in defeat. For a moment, I questioned why you never apologized to me. You left me with nothing and her, you easily let off, careful not to break her heart any further. Did I not deserve the same amount of care? ...I guess not. 

Then our eyes met and I held my breath in fear. I feared that all my feelings for you and the pain you inflicted on me would all rush back. I feared my heart would fall right back into your palms without deliberation. I feared your power over me was still as strong as it was the last time I saw you.

All that happened, however, was that I witnessed you cry for the first time. You looked so broken and defeated. For some reason, I could tell it wasn't because of Chelsea. God, I wanted to walk up to you, to ask you if you were alright, to take care of you. But as tens of girls from all grade levels rushed to your side in worry, I realized once more that you weren't mine. 

It's not my responsibility to take care of you anymore. 

It's not my responsibility to care if you hurt or not.

While I stood there watching you cry into a girl's shoulder, I realized that my heart was no longer yours. I felt almost nothing hearing your silent cries. The pain that would usually rush through me at the sight of you hurting was absent. My eyes that would easily tear up at the sight of you in pain remained dry. The power you held over my love was gone. My love for you was gone. 

I guess those two weeks actually worked. 

Saved: Oct 4, 5:03 PM

xxx

[please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you so much for the support]