23 | Hailey

Dec 30

"Hailey, honey, there's someone here to see you," my mom said, poking her head through a small opening she'd pushed in my door. She had a bright smile on her face as if she'd just witnessed something spectacular.

A confused smile crossed my lips. "Um, I really need to work on this application. Is it that important?"

She pushed the door open and walked to where I sat. She placed her hands on my shoulder and squeezed. "Yeah, it kind of is. I'm sure it won't take that long though. Just come downstairs. She brought your favorite cookies."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Who is it?"

She smiled. "Come and find out," she urged, walking away from me. She turned to give me an encouraging smile before walking out of my room.

I sighed. I turned to look at the USC application I was working on. I was almost done; it wouldn't hurt to take a small break. I've been focusing on school nonstop ever since I ended things with Jon. I realized just in time that I felt nothing beyond a simple physical attraction for him and with no substance to uphold it, that faded over time. He was an amazing guy; he just wasn't the one for me. Luckily for me, he was on the same page. We parted ways a week ago with a friendship set in mind and I truly hope that we hold each other true to it. 

I sighed, clicking on the tab of my draft emails to Lincoln. I wish I had the courage to send them to him. I wish I had the courage to read all of them. I wrote them as I was dealing with heartbreak and I'm sure they showcased my growth into who I am now. More than anything, though, I was sure they held the brutally honest words I wish I could say to Lincoln. It's too bad I was a coward.

I let out another heavy sigh and closed the tab. I got up and quickly walked downstairs. 

My feet froze midway through the dining room when my eyes landed on a familiar woman: Lincoln's mother. My lips parted, allowing my shallow breaths to exit. My eyes had widened and I'm sure I looked like I'd just seen a ghost.

My mom was the first to spot me. She was pouring Mrs. Adams a cup of tea when her eyes landed on me standing there like an idiot. "Honey, what's wrong? Come say hi to Eleanor. She came all this way to see you."

As my mom addressed me, Mrs. Adams turned to face me with a warm smile. She stood up, walking towards me with open arms. "Hailey, how have you been?" She asked, bringing me into a tight hug. She pulled away when I was too frozen to respond. "I haven't seen you in a long time."

I almost coughed but refrained. Rather I just cleared my throat, shaking my head to thaw my thoughts. "Sorry, um, yeah, it's been a little over a year since..." I trailed off, not knowing how to phrase what had happened.

"Since my son broke up with you," she finished off, looking at me sweetly and with understanding eyes, "that's actually what I came to talk to you about."

Intrigued, I said, "what do you mean?"

"Oh, Hails, don't make her talk standing up," my mom interrupted loudly, "come sit down, Eleanor. You must be tired from all that driving."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I apologized quickly, realizing that I'd made her stand up for me and I was keeping her standing with my nonsense.

She chuckled, wrapping her arms around my shoulder and leading me to the living room. "It's alright. Don't worry about me," she said as we sat down. Anxious, I sat between her and my mom. 

"Do you want tea, honey?" my mom asked.

"No, I'm fine," I said, quickly glancing at her before turning to Mrs. Adams. "What about the breakup?"