👓 Chapter 19 - History

She released her from the hug. She was still surprised about everything that just went on.

''Esther! You look beautiful now! And all grown up!" she exclaimed while wren stared at her in confusion.

"come on, have you had anything to eat?'' she asked

"N..no, I haven't... but I'm fine." She stammered, feeling nervous.

"You have to lighten up your mood. You don't have to feel nervous around me. You're a sweet sweet girl and I like you a lot."

Hmm..that's strange...

The lady was friendly and warm, not wanting to hear anything from her. "Come with me" Mariella said, leading her the largest dinning room she had ever seen.

The table was made with mahogany with a shiny finishing.it was high with strong sturdy seats. She was amazed at how large and beautiful the dinning was. She felt like she was in heaven. Everything looked so expensive, she was scared of touching anything.

"go ahead and sit" Mariella told her and she obeyed, carefully.

"So... how's your school and stay here?" she asked once again.

"Uhm... school's fine, It has been good so far"

"Mhh.. you have no trouble adjusting?" She asked

"Not really"

Just then, the food was served. Wren had to fight the urge to moan loudly. Different delicacies that would serve her a long life time. The looks of the food was so tempting.

"My mom... she forgot some of her things here before going home earlier" Wren went straight to the point, explaining to Mariella why she was here in the first place. Mariella seemed to be enjoying Wren's company.

"Yes, I noticed her absence. She was wit me a couple of hours ago and now I can't find her anywhere... and suddenly you're here! You can take her place and keep me company."

"Huh?" she gulped

"Yessss" she nodded to the teenager "So, why's your mom away? She could've told me about it, but she didn't. what happened? Im sure you know"

"Not really, I guessed she's not fine" Wren immediately regretted her statement when it rolled off her tongue and she mentally slapped herself.

"She's not fine? Oh dear lord...She didn't tell me! How is she now? Is she in the hospital or something?" She panicked, sounding just like Mona. And unconsciously, the action she displayed earlier today flashed her mind. And she mentally smiled. It seemed like Mariella was that close to her mother like she was to Mona. But how did they close in such a short period? They've been in San Francisco for only a month. Looks of concern flushed Mariella's face.

"No, no. I think she's getting better. If she was that ill, she would've told you right?"

"Yeah, right" she heaved a sigh of relief and Wren prayed she didn't continue with her questioning, she wasn't a good liar.

Mariella wondered what she would do without Lisa, having been apart from

her for eleven years now. She was so glad she found her again and wasn't ready to lose her, ever again. She didn't even believe she would ever see her again. Just after when all hopes were lost, Lisa was here with her. Her bestfriend...

"Uhm... ma'am?"

"Oh,dear. Just call me Ella. I'm fine with it." She gave a tight smile.

"Okay, Ella?" It was awkward for her to refer to her boss by her first name, worse still, seeing her rank in the social status... she still couldn't believe she was speaking informally and in dinning with one of the richest women in America, apparently the whole world! she shivered at the thought of it all.