t w o

Noah woke up to an optimistic sight — a phone screen devoid of notifications. He bound out of bed with more energy than he had in the last six months, ashamed of himself for how quickly he seemed to find his excitement where Casimir was concerned.

The time on his phone read 10:30, leaving him with about two hours to sort himself out before he should be getting ready to leave. He surprised himself by managing to sleep in until half ten, especially considering he had fallen asleep in the early evening of yesterday.

It was very unlike himself to sleep for more than his usual eight or nine hours, but he supposed that being back in his own bed had played a part in his astounding fifteen hour slumber.

Noah felt a momentary surge of guilt as he remembered the meal he was meant to be having with his parents as a sort of welcome home thing. He scolded himself for not bothering to set an alarm. They had made his favourite, lasagne. Casimir's favourite too, one of the many things they had in common.

Almost on cue, a knock sounded at his door. Noah called out a quick 'Come in,' (his voice hoarse from his long nap), and his mother made her way into his room.

"Morning Hun, good sleep?" She asked with a smile, sitting herself down on the corner of Noah's unmade bed.

"Yeah," Noah yawned, stretching his arms up high as if to illustrate his point.

"That's good Noah, you look like you needed it."

"I did," admitted Noah. "But the dinner.. you should have woken me. I wouldn't have minded getti-" he began guiltily, but his mom cut him off before he could continue.

"Don't worry about it Noah dear, as long as you're well rested we were happy to wait. We decided to leave it until tonight, your father and I just got a take out." She reassured him, an honest smile playing on her lips.

"Okay." Noah said sceptically, still feeling a twinge of uncertainty. "If you're sure I guess."

"I am," she replied. "Besides, it's not often that Michael and I have an excuse to order in takeout, we should be thanking you." She jested, a joking grin on her face.

Noah smiled back and his mother took that as her cue to leave, closing the door softly behind her.

When she left, Noah made his way into the bathroom, grabbing a fresh towel off the rack before stepping into the shower.

He closed his eyes under the hot spray, leaning his head back and letting his thoughts roam free. Every time he thought of seeing Casimir today, a smile broke out on his face. He hated it, hated himself for having no resolve but it was like he couldn't help it. His heart wanted to see Casimir, and it seemed his heart was winning the whole heart and mind argument.

The truth was, Casimir meant so much more to Noah than a best friend. Hell, Noah often felt that Casimir meant more to Noah then Noah meant to Casimir.

He found he could live with that fact though. He had for as long as he could remember.

That's what happens when you fall in love with your best friend. Your straight best friend, at that.

The feelings were irrefutable. Noah had managed to deny himself the truth for years, but at fifteen years old he gave up, deciding to just face facts and admit to himself that he was in love with Casimir Daniels.

Since then, their friendship had been a rollercoaster of suppressed emotion and heartache. Every time Cas raved on about a new girl, Noah felt his heart break. Thankfully, Casimir's flings never developed into anything serious. Noah didn't think it possible that he would survive the heartache had Casimir ever fallen in love.