s e v e n

Noah was surprised.

The therapy session was going, to his surprise, actually well. Not that he would be rushing to come back every week, but he found it marginally more tolerable than he had presumed he would.

The room was filled with natural light from the large window overlooking the room, reducing the sense of claustrophobia Noah feared he would face. He sat in an armchair across from the psychiatrist, not in one of those couch beds from TV he assumed he would be placed in.

Doctor Fuller was nice, and made Noah feel as though he was simply engaging in conversation with and older friend by sharing some minor details of his life too. He insisted Noah call him by his first name, Seth.

The walls were painted in a pale gray shade, with books upon books filling the dark mahogany shelves that lined the walls of the room. A desk stood to one side of the room and the armchairs were in the center. The fire was lit in the grate, it's glowing embers providing a comforting warm air.

"Why do you think you're feeling like this?" Seth asked, cocking his head to the side.

"Because I can't remember the accident. I know that's what it is, it's just so infuriating. And I feel like Cas and my parents are keeping so much from me." Noah said. He had realized that honesty was the best route to go down if he ever wanted to figure things out.

"What happens when you try to remember?"

"What do you mean?" Asked Noah, confused.

"Is there anything there? Or is it completely wiped from your memory?"

"I wouldn't say wiped.." Noah said, trying to think. "I guess, the memories are there. Just buried. They won't tell me about it, but they think I will remember eventually."

"They?" Seth asked.

"My parents. The doctors. Cas." Noah said with a shrug, thumbing the pocket of his jeans just to have something to do with his hands.

"Tell me about Cas," Seth asked interestedly.

Noah thought about the question for a minute. Anyone who knew Cas knew that simply describing him quickly was not an easy feat. Casimir was a many dimensional boy, too many brilliant traits to list simply. "Cas.. Casimir. He's my best friend." Noah said, feeling his face burn.

He hoped Seth wouldn't pick up on his blush, but alas, luck seemed not to be in his favour.

"Just your best friend?" Seth asked with a small smile.

"Yeah-.. yeah." Noah replied, and he knew straight away that his voice sounded off. God dammit, so much for playing cool.

"Is that all you want him to be?" Seth asked softly, his voice measured. He wasn't being too forward, not wanting to make Noah feel pressured to answer.

Noah stayed silent for a minute, debating whether or not to answer. Gnawing the inside of his cheek, he fidgeted with his hands that rested in his lap.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to, Noah." Seth began to speak, but Noah cut him off before he could continue.

"I do. Want him to be more, I mean." Noah said, suddenly very interested in the burgundy carpet his feet had sunk in to.

He figured he might as well admit it. Even if he hadn't answered the question verbally, his silence was more than enough confirmation. Besides, it wasn't like Doctor Fuller was going to tell anyone.