2

"Let's begin with an introduction." Those were the first words announced in the large, empty room. It consisted of densely padded floors and white, brick walls. Surely, the sentence echoed numerous times. "Thankfully, this class only consists of you. This saves you money by giving you more time training, and it also allows some wiggle room for friendly chit-chat."

All the man had received was a quick, expressionless nod. It was a simple response, but confusing nonetheless. In all, Tom himself was confusing, for he was the epitome of an enigma. His gestures were subtle, and his facial expressions appeared neutral. It was clear that Tom was uncomfortable. It was also known that Tom Hiddleston was not one to interrupt, scold, or talk back in any way.

"Alright," Chris paused momentarily, clapping his hands together for emphasis. "I guess I will begin."

Tom startled, jumping slightly at the noise. His eyes honed in on the large figure before him, dedicating his attention. The response was natural at that point.

Chris had made a quick mental note of the response. Tom had fast, energetic reflexes. In emergency situations, Chris knew that could be helpful. Especially for someone of such stature. Tom was tall and equipped with long limbs, but it was no secret he lacked muscle. Through comparison, Tom appeared entirely different than his teacher. Chris' early morning protein shake would be a sure recommendation for Tom. Plus, chocolate flavoring was pleasing to the instructor, for he felt no one could resist such a pleasure.

"My name is Chris Hemsworth. I am a certified physical therapist, but I also dabble in the art of self defense, as you can see." Just from his introduction, Tom could already sense the energy of this extroverted human; it was unnerving and inspiring. "I achieved black belt status as a child, but now I am twenty-five, so that seems quite meaningless, doesn't it?"

No response.

"My family runs this fun enterprise, and you happen to have the best Hemsworth as your trainer. Other than that, I truly can't think of anything that important." Unlike Tom, Chris never once gave off an awkward vibe, especially as he spoke. He rolled with the silence, using it as an advantage to talk more. He was simply competing for Tom's overall participation.

Liar, Tom had thought in response to Chris' latest statement, knowing damn well everyone had a skeleton in their closet. There was more to Chris, but nothing he would press on. In such a setting, Tom was not much of a talker.

"Other than your name and age, Tom, is there anything else I should know about you?" The smile Chris offered shortly after was sweet. It was not fake, and instead it provided a comfort Tom was not yet accustomed to. He would be.

Blushing ferociously, Tom looked to his sneakers with doubt. His eyebrows moved in contemplation until he found an answer. It was just enough to stop Chris from continuing the interrogation.

"At most, I am a student." Tom began, mentally preparing formal, foreign communication skills to prove his point. The only power Tom had over his teacher was using his advanced vocabulary and speech. "I find public school to be quite the delicacy, and I have every intention on completing it. Every area of study that I have encountered, I have enjoyed, so don't dare ask me which class I favor."

It was the most Chris had got from the boy, so he took the information and decided to run with it. "I assume you have exceptional grades?"

Tom shrugged modestly. "For clarification, know that school comes first. If my grades fall at any time, I will be unable to continue these classes."

"School before self defense?" Chris challenged, but he could not predict the response.

"What good is power without the knowledge to use it properly?"

This time around, Chris was the one to bow his head in a submissive gesture. He gave in, deciding not to pursue an argument.

"Tom, may I ask you a question?"

You already have. "Yes," said Tom calmly. He would save such stubbornness for later. However, that was only if the two would eventually grow close enough for the use of remarks.

"Why no parental signature?" Chris squinted, crossing those large arms over his chest. It was mere curiosity.

"I don't know what you're talking about. My guardian's signature was right on the application form."

Chris hummed, a small smile forming. He waited several painstaking seconds before continuing. By then, he had dropped the topic entirely and moved on. "I enjoy teasing you, Tom. If I cause you any anger during your time here, make sure to take it out on me. I promise I can handle it."

Raising an eyebrow, Tom remained still. His eyes dragged over the length of Chris. Like others, he was greatly intimidated. The arms were those of a god, veined and thick with muscle. Chris had a large, built frame. Tan skin glistened with the sweat of hard work, completely opposing Tom's appearance. The differences between the two were clear. It was astonishing that Tom had relatively the same height as Chris because it did not feel that way.

"Wow, no response? I am usually asked so many questions by now."

Instead of questioning the course, Tom hung on to Chris' prior words. "Why would one hurt another out of petty anger?" The teenager could not begin to understand, so he continued. "Why would you encourage it?"

If Chris had claimed that such words were not baffling, he would be a liar. His speech then took a tumble as he tried to gain perspective. It took him a while to finally speak coherently. It was hard for the sentences to form correctly. After all, he did not wish to truly upset the boy.

"Hurting another comes easily when you have a reason. Imagine that I am the kindest person in all of history. Would it be harder to punch me?" Chris questioned, not quite knowing of his statement's effect.

"That doesn't make sense."

Chris frowned, once again gaining his curiosity. "Of course it does. It's important that you only use self defense as defense, Tom."

That's not what Tom meant, and so he grew slightly frustrated. Chris was not getting it. He did not understand that Tom had always made sure not to give a reason; yet the boy still stood in that exact room, unmoving and prepared.