Chapter 1

Once upon a time...what?...isn't that how all fairy tales start? Granted, this may not be your conventional fairy tale. Everyone deserves to live a fairy tale life though...don't they...even a "cougar"?

CHAPTER 1

Thea Drake looks at herself in the ornate, full length mirror. Her fingers glide through her soft blonde curls, a sigh escaping her red lips. What have I become? If only I'd made a different choice fifteen years ago, what would my life be like? Then again, did I really have a choice?

A knock at the bedroom door causes a familiar knot in her stomach.

"Thea, it's me."

The tension disappears at the sound of her best friend, Erica's voice. A smiles emerges, "Come in, Erica." As the door opens, Thea takes in the always calming sight of her dear friend; equal in height and age to Thea, but differing in her dark hair and eyes.

"Hey, Sweetie." Erica says, hugging Thea.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had a work thing?"

The two sit on Thea's large bed, facing each other. "I do." Erica looks down, a squeeze in her chest. "I thought you might need a hug today from someone who loves you."

"You remembered." Thea frowns, wishing she herself could forget.

Resting her hand on Thea's shoulder, Erica asks, "How could I possibly forget what happened to you fifteen years ago today? Are you okay?"

Thea forces a smile, always one not to burden her friends with her real feelings. "Yeah." She looks up in an attempt to hold off the tears. "This time of year always brings on a case of the 'what ifs'."

Erica's jaw tightens, her mouth creating a thin line. "Well, you know my advice."

Knowing her friend means well, Thea says, "I know...I know."

"Is he going with you tonight to the charity event?"

"Unfortunately, yes." Her frown turning into a coy smile, "I do have one thing I'm excited about though."

"What's that?"

"I'm auctioning off a personalized children's book." Thea beams, feeling her heart lighten a bit.

"Sweetie, that's great. So you'll write a book tailored to whoever wins?"

"Yes, hopefully it will make a good amount of money for the charity. Plus, I'm excited to write again. I miss it."

"I know you do. That's why you need to-"

Thea clears her throat loudly, cutting her friend off.

"Alright, Sweetie, I can take a hint." Erica pats Thea's hand. "I better go or I'll be late."

The forced smile returns, "It's okay, I have to finish getting ready. We're meeting for lunch the day after tomorrow, right?"

"Yes, I wouldn't miss it. Please try to have fun tonight, Thea."

Standing and pulling her dear friend into an embrace, Thea replies, "I will." The minute the door closes behind Erica, Thea walks across the room to her large closet. She slips on a red dress; it's a classy silhouette with just a hint of sexy. More than appropriate for a Southern California charity event. She loves to wear red, only because Malcolm prefers her not to. He says it brings too much attention to her. Well, good! Lord knows I could use some.

Turning again to the antique mirror, Thea gives herself a once over. She adds a pair of four inch heels with the infamous red bottoms as Malcolm always insists. 'It's all about status, dear', she can hear him say.