Chapter 2

Dashi had barely brought the mug of steaming cocoa to her lips, glad to be out of the diving suit and back in her own clothes in a heated room, when the radio rang at the dashboard. She took a quick gulp of scalding chocolate and pressed respond, smiling down at the camera. It was Tweak calling. "Hi there, stranger," the rabbit said with a chuckle, looking up at the screen from the HQ. "How's it going?"

"I've only been away for half a day," Dashi replied in amusement. "Pretty well, thanks. We just finished off all the stuff we needed to do... well, I say we, Shel was determined that there was still something that needed doing, talking to bacteria or something."

"Scientists," her best friend grinned.

Dashi could picture the Octopod at night as she closed her eyes, imagining the cool, wintry waters up above compared with the abject blackness down here so deep in a trench. "So, how are the New Year's preparations going?"

She could see Tweak's careless shrug even over the radio screen, her voice suddenly a little more guarded than before

She could see Tweak's careless shrug even over the radio screen, her voice suddenly a little more guarded than before. "Oh, y'know..." she said slowly. "Fine."

Dashi laughed. "Don't worry, I'm not that jealous. You can tell the truth to me, there's no need to pretend it's going badly. I'll just worry about you if it is!"

Tweak rolled her eyes. "Fine... it's actually going really well. The fireworks are ready in the HQ to be carried out onto the top of the Octopod as soon as we're on the surface and ready to begin the countdown. Stars seem set to be out all night as well, so that's all sorted too.

"That's good!" Dashi felt a tiny pang of sadness that she would be missing out on sitting with her crew to bring in the New Year together, but swallowed it down.

"So what are you guys planning?" Tweak asked, with a wink.

"Not sure yet, really," Dashi replied casually. "Just chilling out, I think. Counting down to the New Year like you guys."

"Who are you talking to?" Shellington called from the lower deck, having just got in and halfway out of the Deep Sea suit.

"Just Tweak!" Dashi called back.